Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 69 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3636 Members
10 Forums
5514 Topics
50542 Posts

Max Online: 382 @ 11/07/12 05:45 AM
Topic Options
#52989 - 04/30/18 08:37 AM Russell/Whitney combo
BFR Offline

Loc: Santa Monica, CA
Is there more than one logical route? What's the most route efficient way to do this?

Thanks

Edited by BFR (04/30/18 08:37 AM)

#52993 - 04/30/18 12:20 PM Re: Russell/Whitney combo [Re: BFR]
jorvack Offline

Loc: CA Sonoma County
Hello,
This is a big day. I attempted it a few years ago but was zonked after descending Russell (Russell was my primary objective after climbing Whitney a few times previously). I went up Russell East ridge then down the Fishhook Arete descent route (south face?)

Next would be up the Whitney North Slopes and down the Whitney trail.
Or Vice versa if you want to summit Whitney first.

Here is a previous post withthe route referenced:

http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthreads.php/topics/21541/Advice_re_Nor
th_Slope_of_Mt_Wh

The crux will be the North Slopes of Whitney - most people encounter 4th class sections and the route fining is a bit difficult and the route not traveled very frequently.

Edited by jorvack (04/30/18 12:33 PM)

#53003 - 05/01/18 09:42 AM Re: Russell/Whitney combo [Re: BFR]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
I’ve done Whitney, Muir, and Russell together three times:
1. Russell up the east ridge and down the south face, up the north face of Whitney, down the trail to Muir, back to Whitney, and down the Mountaineers’ Route. This was a 10-hour day in 2002.
2. Up the east side of Muir directly from Trail Camp, down the west side and up the trail to Whitney, partway down the Mountaineers’ Route, traverse over the saddle NW of Iceberg Lake to Russell, up the south face of Russell, and down the east ridge. This was a day hike in 2003.
3. Up the Mountaineers’ Route to Whitney, down the trail to Muir and back, partway down the Mountaineers’ Route, traverse to Russell, up and back down the south face, and back to camp at Iceberg Lake. This was in April 2009 with lots of snow.

I found some rotten class 4 on the north face of Whitney. The east side of Muir was supposedly class 4, but I couldn’t find a route that easy. Otherwise, all the routes I did were pretty straightforward. I would do Russell first. If you’re really comfortable on class 4, the north face of Whitney may be faster. Traversing to the Mountaineers’ Route is easier and safer, but it’s a bit of a slog. Good luck, Ben.

#53033 - 05/07/18 06:58 AM Re: Russell/Whitney combo [Re: bobpickering]
BFR Offline

Loc: Santa Monica, CA
Thanks all.