Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Feature Topics
Who's Online
0 registered (), 72 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
4016 Members
10 Forums
5843 Topics
52545 Posts

Max Online: 1443 @ 07/29/19 08:40 AM
Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#55850 - 07/30/19 03:23 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Halfdomer Homer]
DixieFlyer Offline

Loc: AZ
I have a day hike permit on 8/1, and today I went from the TH to Lone Pine Lake just to check that portion of the trail out. I had no problem with the creek crossing -- if you are careful and have a good sense of balance you should be able to get across and keep your feet dry. If you have GTX hiking boots you could just walk across in the water and not worry about stepping on the rocks to keep your feet dry.

#55852 - 07/31/19 07:39 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Madbutcher Offline

Loc: Felton, CA
I think someone already shared this site but here it is again.

Seems to have new photo's almost daily. Not the best resolution but good enough for snow. I been watching it melt around Lake Tulainyo.

https://apps.sentinel-hub.com/sentinel-p...showDates=false

Click the satellite icon (upper-left) to switch between trails and the sat. view.

I think you need Firefox to run it.

Edited by Steve C (08/06/19 11:28 AM)
Edit Reason: improve the URL, etc.

#55854 - 07/31/19 11:08 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: DixieFlyer]
Halfdomer Homer Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Yeah I forgot to mention that it had rained for 3 days right before I went. Usually I have no prob crossing Lone Pine Creek. It was higher than I had ever seen on Sat. The water was rushing over the rocks that I use to cross. Didn't feel like taking off my boots!

#55865 - 08/01/19 03:36 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Madbutcher]
bobpickering Offline

Loc: Reno, Nevada
The Sentinel images are available as "Weekly High-Res" on CalTopo.

#55884 - 08/06/19 11:52 AM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
View of the cables, July 29, 2019, posted on FB by Scott B

His summary:
Quote:
My wife and I, along with another couple, successfully reached the summit of Mount Whitney on July 29, 2019. We were so happy with the accomplishment as we are all first-timers and felt lucky to get a permit the first time applying.

Had microspikes but didn't use them. The worst part was the snow crossing just before the summit. Climbing up w/o spikes but with trekking poles wasn't bad. Coming down was sketchy since the snow was slushy and slippery - would use the spikes going down if I did it over again. The 99 switchbacks only had 2 that were abbreviated by snow and they weren't too icy in the morning. Be prepared for high winds and the wind chill that comes with it.

This posted on FB by James H
Quote:
Summited Monday 8/5 after 2 days from Cottonwood Pass.
...The snow patch below the summit was dicier than I expected, and we regretted leaving our spikes at the junction.
...Dicier than anticipated. It's not long, but there is some pucker factor for a scaredy cat like me.

#56218 - 09/04/19 08:11 PM Re: Current Conditions: Mt Whitney Trail [Re: Steve C]
Steve C Offline

Loc: Fresno, CA
This posted Sept 4 on FB by Renée K
Quote:
We just summited yesterday.

It was clear skies at the summit at 8:45 am. (We started our hike at 10:15pm due to a forecast of 0.1” rain at 11am)
Be prepared for all. We got an hour of pea sized hail (it was like getting hit by a BB gun for an hour) and the trail turned into a river of hail. It then rained for the next 5 hours.

Since we started our hike at 10:15pm we missed the update to thunderstorms. The weather said nothing about an hour of hail.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7