Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Seeking Tips for Summer Trip Ending in Whitney Zone
#56620 01/16/20 11:39 PM
L
OP Offline
L
Planning a summer backpacking trip that ideally will include Cirque Peak, Langley, and Whitney.

We'll enter via the Horseshoe Meadows area and exit via the Whitney Zone.

I'm trying to decide whether to have Cottonwood Pass or Cottonwood Lakes as our entry point. We'd probably do Cirque Peak first. Any recommendations re: one entry or the other, and why?

We're thinking along the way we'll camp at Soldier Lake Basin and Guitar Lakes. Trying mainly to structure the first 1 or 2 days so we can fit Cirque Peak in (that's the tricky part). Also trying to decide if this is doable in 3 days/2 nights (~45 miles total). It is a strong group of hikers.

Has anyone done a similar route? Would love to hear from others who've done this. Thanks!

Re: Seeking Tips for Summer Trip Ending in Whitney Zone
LASherpa #56621 01/17/20 10:44 AM
A
A
I think the hike up thru the lakes to New Army is more interesting. Tagging Cirque Peak from New Army Pass is pretty easy. Just a slog thru talus with about 600 feet of altitude gain.

Re: Seeking Tips for Summer Trip Ending in Whitney Zone
LASherpa #56622 01/19/20 08:25 AM
G
G
Hey LASherpa,

I did the reverse route (WP to HSM via New Army) a couple years ago in July. I camped just above Guitar Lake and then at this really nice campsite on New Army trail a bit north of the Siberian Pass Trail. Soldier Lake had a lot of mosquitoes, so I just kept walking a bit further until I found this site.
I had to do the whole thing in 2.5 days, so what you are planning is doable but it will be a bit rushed. I wanted to do Langley the last day, but I had to be picked up at noon at HSM, so no time for that. I definitely could've done it if I had the full three days.

Hope this helps

Link Copied to Clipboard