Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Meysan Lake in July
#58481 04/14/21 12:49 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Hello, I am thinking of going up to Meysan Lake for an overnight trip in late July. I am planning to hike to Meysan Lake and either hike to Irvine Peak that day or the next morning and hike back down.

I am planning to be prepared for rain. Is there usually snow up there during that time? I am somewhat new to camping where bears are, I am planning to cook and eat away from my site and keep food and wrappers in a bear canister far from my campsite as well.

What is the likelihood of rain? Is there anything I should keep in mind? I am planning to bring microspikes, will that be enough?

This is my first post - I did a day hike up to Meysan Lake last year and really enjoyed it, so I want to camp and try to get to the peak of Mt Irvine.

Thank you

Re: Meysan Lake in July
HikingPerson #58482 04/14/21 08:52 AM
S
S
Since Meysan Lake is seldom used for camping, I would highly doubt you would have any bear encounters. The bears congregate around Whitney Portal because of the campground, and the possibility of stealing dayhikers packs in the early morning hours when they are getting ready to hike (they set their daypack down, and the thief makes a grab-and-go run). I've not seen any reports of bear encounters on the Main Trail above Whitney Portal, so the chances at Meysan are miniscule. The biggest problem on the Whitney Trail are the marmots and mice getting into hikers' food. So use a bear proof container, and you will be just fine.

As for rain, watch the weather forecast just before you go. If I were going, and no storms are forecast, I'd leave my tent in the car. On the other hand, any chance of thunderstorms, take the appropriate gear. You can find good weather links in the Mt Whitney Weather page.

This being a low-snow year (about 60% of normal), you will be lucky to find significant patches of snow in late July.

Re: Meysan Lake in July
Steve C #58483 04/14/21 11:38 AM
H
OP Offline
H
Originally Posted by Steve C
Since Meysan Lake is seldom used for camping, I would highly doubt you would have any bear encounters. The bears congregate around Whitney Portal because of the campground, and the possibility of stealing dayhikers packs in the early morning hours when they are getting ready to hike (they set their daypack down, and the thief makes a grab-and-go run). I've not seen any reports of bear encounters on the Main Trail above Whitney Portal, so the chances at Meysan are miniscule. The biggest problem on the Whitney Trail are the marmots and mice getting into hikers' food. So use a bear proof container, and you will be just fine.

As for rain, watch the weather forecast just before you go. If I were going, and no storms are forecast, I'd leave my tent in the car. On the other hand, any chance of thunderstorms, take the appropriate gear. You can find good weather links in the Mt Whitney Weather page.

This being a low-snow year (about 60% of normal), you will be lucky to find significant patches of snow in late July.

Thanks very much for all of that good information. When I was there in November I did not see any Marmots, I was wondering if they were up there... I guess they were hibernating already. I really enjoyed the area when I was there and plan to keep going back at least once a year, hopefully twice.

Thanks again!

Link Copied to Clipboard