Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: "The Windows"
VersatileFred #667 11/07/09 11:06 PM
S
S
Better yet, just post his image here. Thanks Bob R!

...well, I see this post jumped to a new page.

Looking at the picture, it looks more intimidating than I ever felt when I hiked that point. I think it is the perspective, looking down, so you can see the left side falling away so dramatically. ...Really -- it is just not that bad.

VersatileFred #668 11/07/09 11:33 PM
Bee Offline
Fred, you shulda never sent me to a Bob R photo album -- it's a good way to kill half the evening!

Thanks for pointing the direction to the "Windows" pix -- really, I had no idea that the Main Trail had such interesting terrain!

(I need to get over my impression that it's a casual walk-up to the peak wink

b

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
VersatileFred #669 11/08/09 12:23 AM
Rod Offline

This is the winter picture I think is significant on the backside.As Laura said it isn't the windows to worry about in a winter accent it is the pitch of snow.

I am really afraid of looking over ledges and I did not find the windows scary.

Last edited by Rod; 11/08/09 12:30 AM.
VersatileFred #670 11/08/09 06:16 AM
W
deceased
deceased
W
Some time ago I think it was Bob R. who posted an aerial view of the windows from the backside of the Mt. Whitney crest, looking east.

Seven windows are marked in the photo.

Here are the locating peak names for each of the windows, going left to right:

1. Mt. Whitney -- Keeler Needle
2. Keeler Needle -- Crooks (Day) Needle
3. Crooks (Day) Needle -- 3rd Needle
4. 3rd Needle -- Aiguille Extra
5. Aiguille Extra -- Aiguille du Paquoir
6. Left (north) of Aiguille Jr.
7. Aiguille Jr. -- S'brutal Tower

There is one more to the far right, out of the photo, between S'brutal Tower and Mt. Muir.

If I missed something here, perhaps Bob R. or someone else could let me know.

Wayne #674 11/08/09 02:02 PM
S
S
Thanks, Wayne. It is amazing how steep the slope looks from that perspective. It isn't nearly that bad when you're there.

The picture is cool, because you can make out the trail at the right most window, and then a good third of the way across.

Wayne #677 11/08/09 04:07 PM
J
J
Not all of those windows are anywhere near the trail.

Wayne #681 11/08/09 09:25 PM
Bee Offline
Thanks, guys, SO much for answering my question so thoroughly!!

Wayne, we can always depend on you for some of the best compilations of data (I have collected some of your maps,charts, etc -- maybe you will send me a PM with the switchback map, 'cause I never grabbed that one)

b

Bee #784 11/13/09 02:46 PM
S
S
Bee

When are you going to do a winter ascent of Whitney...ahem - without us? (crossing my arms and harrumphing)

Summer crossing is pretty much a breeze (no pun intended) easier than the e-ledges. Each time I go over them I think - dang, these aren't that bad...but then, I like the windows - they're a great rush.

For some unknown reason people have taken to peeing off the windows edge & although I love to look over the edge, I hate the smell.

SanDi_carole #786 11/13/09 07:06 PM
Bee Offline
Oh NO NO NO -- I don't do Whitney without my posse!! It is the scientist in me that compels me to gather information about things I may do...5 years from now (never too early to start preparing..!) Ask Bob R. about my incessant queries and info gathering -- he is likely to roll his eyes (maybe not; I can't see Bob R. rolling his eyes)

I am preparing for that first ascent already -- just got off the stair master!

Pretty soon I will start haranguing Steve C about permit "strategies" for that anticipated first summit...!

(you & Mousie & Moosie will get a gold embossed invite *when* I get my date(s)

b

Bee #788 11/14/09 12:09 AM

Hi Bee, The "windows" aren't bad at all. On my first summit last month, there were many other parts of the trail that I thought were scarier. Here's a pic of me (at the bottom of the pic) in the exact area of Bob R's pic. You can see, it's not bad at all. In fact, I don't even remember passing that "window" on the way back. Please keep us informed of when you go. And when you do pass the "windows", lean to the West!

p.s. I don't like the backbone on Baldy.

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #789 11/14/09 12:22 AM
Bee Offline
Nice picture! It gives me a much better perspective on the steepness, width of the trail, etc. Nothing gives me a better feel for the hike in general than these great "specific area" pics. REally -- no guidebook on the shelf (and I am staring at too many of them right here) has given me a more well-rounded commentary on the upper part of the trail than what I am getting right here.

I always thought that the trail was unmistakable from A-Z as far as not getting lost, but now that I read through all of the proposed signs, I get that little twinge all over again (Do I have enough maps? Have I read up enough? Have talked to enough people?) I don't believe in dialing up a GPS and blindly following it (I don't even own one) Rather, I must KNOW where I am going. I will have my "posse" with me, so no fear on that level smile

Gold Embossed invites waiting to go out.....

b

Bee #790 11/14/09 08:06 AM
OP Offline
Bee - A fellow named Hike Along Pete sells videos of the entire Mt. Whitney trail from an Ebay store. He walked the trail with a camera. He has a one disc "best of" or a six disc set that covers every inch of the trail. If you want to know exactly what it is like, then watch these videos. His store is at:

http://stores.ebay.com/HikeAlongVideo

quillansculpture #791 11/14/09 08:45 AM
Rod Offline
quillansculpture
Great shot.That is the hardest section physically and mentally on the entire Main Trail IMO.You have been to the summit,experienced the emotional high of that summit, and you head back for what should be all downhill. But NOOOOO you have to regain the altitude you gave up coming down the backside of Trailcrest.You are saying I have to climb up again? You are tired and you realize the sign at the trailhead that says the summit is only halfway is really really true.

Rod #793 11/14/09 11:12 AM
Hey Rod, I KNOW you!!! Yea, that is a hard place to think about going up on your way back from the summit. I am honest when I said I don't even remember the "window". Looking up at that huge granite stairway in front of you after you've exhausted yourself on the way to the summit is intimidating enough to make you keep your eyes on the trail, just a few feet ahead of you.

Bee......you think you have tingles now? Just wait till you see the Summit Hut that Rod is touching (in the pic next to his user name.) I've never met Rod, but he and I shared the ""touching the Summit Hut Experience" after going though cancer. The experience can be overwhelming and you will remember it your entire life.

Rod, can't wait to meet you.
Bee, can't wait for the invites :-)

"Turtles, Frogs & other Environmental Sculpture"

www.quillansculpturegallery.com
twitter: @josephquillan

If less is more, imagine how much more, more is -Frasier
quillansculpture #799 11/14/09 10:08 PM
Rod Offline
OK I have thought about it all day. I think it is time for the Whitney Hikers Association to think about their own group hike.Probably will have to be spring or early summer.That would motivate me to get back to my training. After 4 straight years of regular rigorous training I have taken a break and lapsed into sluggery.I have only met personally Steve, Laura and Dave(wagga). Many others I feel like I have known a long time but never have met.

Rod #800 11/14/09 11:14 PM
S
S
Rod, DON'T lapse into "sluggery"! It's so baaad -- Whatever you did to stay in shape, get back into it. The sooner the better, because it will be easier to jettison whatever you might need to.

Off to the gym!!!

We could do a group hike.... and we could expand our range and do something outside the Whitney Zone, too. One of my favorite places on the east side is Thousand Island Lake.

Steve C #801 11/15/09 12:26 AM
Rod Offline
Actually I haven't totaly fallen into sluggery.I am still very physically active and in decent shape but I am not running stairs or hitting my own (shame on me) gym.Hopsports also has a 11,000 square ft state of the art training facility. NO EXCUSES.I am ready to get at it again.I am willing to hike anywhere.

Rod #802 11/15/09 12:48 AM
Bee Offline
I have started a very serious training program to aid in my success for next season's goals. Currently, I am doing pull-ups and a myriad of other upper body maneuvers. For trunk strength, I am doing seated rows and millions of sit-ups. Lower body is alternating running and Stairmaster.

If anyone has any more suggestions, feel free to add.

All of this in hope to view "The WIndows" next season (nice wrap, eh?)

b

Bee #803 11/15/09 07:12 AM
Rod:

Get back to it. Don't make me come out there.

-L cool

Facebook

Flickr Pics

Think outside the Zone.
MooseTracks #805 11/15/09 09:41 AM
Rod Offline
OK I would hate to have a moose come down and kick my ass. Tomorrow I hit the stadium stairs.

Bee, Laura can attest to this. Core training is KING.Get a physio ball and start with crunches and back extension strengthening.

Last edited by Rod; 11/15/09 09:45 AM.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard