Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 155 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
PCT to Road Bike Adventure
#8254 10/12/10 08:56 AM
OP Offline
Hey Steve C. I lost track of your sons pct adventure and was wondering what happened after he left the PCT to go road biking. I hope he had a grand adventure either way.

Everything I ever needed to know about parenting, I learned from watching Davey and Goliath
Re: PCT to Road Bike Adventure
duelmen3 #8256 10/12/10 10:21 AM
S
S
Thanks for inquiring!

He did have a good trip -- Once he switched to the bicycle, he rode about 50 miles a day coming down the Hwy 1 from Oak Harbor, WA. He had fun camping for cheap in lots of state park campgrounds -- bicycles are charged about $4 per night. He complained of being cold and not seeing the sun for days on end, until the last two days south of San Francisco.

We drove over to Morrow Bay, and met him as he rolled into Cayucos at the pier. He spent the night there with his wife's relatives, and we brought him back to Fresno. He then made it home to MI, in time to start his school-teaching job.

He's back riding his mountain bike around Ann Arbor, and getting ready for his next big adventure: His wife is expecting, due in March. (They're crazy! She finishes dental school in April, and THEN they're moving back to the west coast somewhere. ...with the newborn in tow!)

I have not checked lately, but the woman they started the PCT with is STILL hiking south! "La Machine" Adrienne (3rd from left here)

is still hiking.

...Just checked Darren B's Spot location, and it shows him at Walker Pass (Hwy 178 out of Bakersfield and Lake Isabella) on Oct 10, 2 days ago. He may be hiking with Adrienne, too.

Adrienne's blog shows her latest entry, a watercolor from Edison Lake, Sept 27, two weeks ago now:

Steve C #8258 10/12/10 02:26 PM
OP Offline
Thanks for the update Steve. The watercolors are amazing! Still plenty of time by SoCal standards to make it to the boarder with good weather. We really don't hear to much from the southbound hikers. And congratulations on the upcoming grand baby!

Everything I ever needed to know about parenting, I learned from watching Davey and Goliath
duelmen3 #8770 10/29/10 10:20 AM
S
S
Out of curiosity, I checked on Darren and Adrienne's progress.

Darren's last Postholer update was Aug 28, with the following picture from Kearsarge Pass

His last spot location shows him on a residential street in Pasadena, Oct 19. (ten days ago).

Adrienne just updated her blog yesterday:
Quote:
Posted on October 28, 2010 by adriennehikes

I'm still here!

Ooh... Updates have been sort of infrequent. Maybe I've been getting lazier? Or busier? Who knows... The fact of the matter is, I'm still hiking and am currently in Wrightwood CA. Wrightwood is a ski town a little ways east of L.A., and 370 PCT miles north of Mexico. It's a great hiker town - compact, friendly people, and it has everything a hiker needs. I was also really lucky getting a ride into town, and there are lots of trail angels to call for a ride back to the trail. Not staying here too long, since we've had a lot of zeros and neros recently.

On another topic - I thought at this point in the hike, I would be so scrawny and hungry I could eat anything. Not so. Actually, it's been getting harder and harder to find foods that seem appealing, so here's a question to anybody reading - any creative ideas for (vegan) backpacking foods? I'm pretty sick of peanut butter and oatmeal, and highly processed foods are sort of unappealing. Would love to hear ideas anyone has.

With that, I'm heading out and getting back on the trail, headed to Big Bear City and beyond!

Steve C #9153 11/17/10 03:37 PM
S
S
I heard from Darren's mom that Adrienne and Darren should be stepping on the Calif - Mexican border this afternoon.

...And just as I write this, I get a text message from Dan and Esther Cohen that they are on their way to pick them up and ferry them to the Amtrak station. Dan started hiking with them in Canada, and I worked with Esther following their progress on the fateful first week.

Congratulations to Adrienne and Darren for persevering!!!    

Link Copied to Clipboard