Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Discovery's Last Flight
#8925 11/03/10 07:07 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
As an avid follower of the space program, tomorrow's launch of Discovery is a bittersweet moment. I was present at the first two landings at Edwards. Launch is at 12:29:43 pm Whitney Zone time. The weather looks bad, though. I'll post the video URL for streaming video when & if it turns up. Apparently, the delay from today to Thursday was caused by a bug in a circuit breaker - as in a real bug. Squish!

Verum audaces non gerunt indusia alba. - Ipsi dixit MCMLXXII
Re: Discovery's Last Flight
wagga #8935 11/03/10 11:18 PM
V
V
The weather was unseasonably great when I was there three weeks ago. Hope everything works out this week.

VersatileFred #8937 11/04/10 05:35 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Launch has been delayed to 3:04 WZT on Friday due to weather.

wagga #8957 11/04/10 04:12 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
A NASA video of Discovery's career.

wagga #8958 11/04/10 04:23 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
And a GigaPan image from last night here.

wagga #8963 11/04/10 06:51 PM
Rod Offline
I got to watch the launch of Magellan Venus probe aboard the Atlantis in 1989. We got VIP seats but it almost never happened. The countdown got to 31 seconds and the mission was scrubbed. There was only a narrow window of a couple of days to get the shuttle to launch Magellan or it would have to wait another 2 years for the right lauch angle to slingslot Magellan to Venus.They fixed the problem and launched within the open widow. It was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed.We flew home on a Sunday and the next day the shuttle we saw lauched at Cape Canaveral flew over our heads in SoCal and we saw the support jets and felt the sonic boom as it landed at Edwards AFB.
http://www2.jpl.nasa.gov/magellan/guide9.html

Rod #8970 11/05/10 10:05 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Shuttle scrubbed til Monday.

wagga #8971 11/05/10 10:11 AM
CaT Offline
Shuttle scrubbed until end of the month for repairs.

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)
CaT #8974 11/05/10 01:54 PM
S
S
I, too, am an avid follower of the space program and the thought of Discoverys last flight makes me teary eyed. I have always called Discovery "my" shuttle... she is the ship that flew during both return to flight missions after the Challenger Disaster (launching on my 13th birthday in 1988) and then again after the Columbia disaster in July 2005 (and the first post-Columbia night launch in 2006)...

She is truely a historic "ship".. being the oldest in the fleet... she launched the Hubble, flew the last Mir/Shuttle docking flight, she flew the first female shuttle pilot into orbit, as well as the first African-American spacewalker and took John Glenn back to space (the first sitting member of Congress and also the oldest person at 77 years old)..

All Hail Discovery... God Speed her crew in a successful flight and safe return to Earth...

SoCalGirl #8977 11/05/10 03:58 PM
On four seperate occasions over the past 25 years I've been in Orlando at the same time a shuttle launch was scheduled. All four times I drove the Bee Line two hours east to watch it, and every single damn time the launch was scrubbed - after I had made it to the coast. I still haven't seen one of these marvelous things go, and I really, really want to!

Flashback: July, 1969 - my parents had taken me on vacation to Daytona Beach (every year, twice a year, for 13 straight years, to be exact). I was 12 and really into the space program - hard not to be at that age and time when it seemed like the cover of every Life, Time, Nat Geo and you-name-it magazines featured NASA stuff. My dad surpised us by taking us to Cocoa Beach to watch the launch of the Apollo 11 mission (first moon landing, to the uninitiated). To this day it is still the grandest, loudest thing I've ever experienced, even from jam-packed railroad tracks 2 miles away. I recall my teeth actually vibrating in my head - even at that distance - from the punch that Saturn V booster packed.

A few years later I attended a Deep Purple concert. The band had just recently established a Guiness world record for loudness (decibel count, I believe), and everyone at the concert left with ears ringing for an hour afterwards from Blackmore's axe and Glover's bass. When my friends could finally hear me, what they heard was "Saturn's louder!!!" They had no clue what I meant.

Bulldog34 #8983 11/05/10 07:45 PM
Rod Offline
Wow Gary that is awesome.What an experience.I was with the designer and builder of the Magellan and we toured Cape Canaveral and the Kennedy Space Center and looked at the Apollo museum. In 1989 he said that we no longer had the technology or capability to make an Apollo Saturn V type engine and booster.No one was left that could duplicate the engineering. I found that strange but he was adament that the technology was gone.

Watching a shuttle launch was one of the most amazing things I have ever witnessed.

Last edited by Rod; 11/05/10 07:57 PM.
Rod #8984 11/05/10 09:19 PM
S
S
I've never seen a shuttle launch outside of television... (and streaming internet when I should have been working)... As a childl my biggest ambition in life was to be an astronaut... I went to the Space Camp program in Hunstville, AL twice (at my own hard earned expense)
I was lucky enough to get to walk on the scaffolding structure that supported one of the main rockets from the shuttle. We, as students, got up and close with the rocket and watched them gimble it and move it around. We then moved a safe distance away and watched them test fire it.... I remember feeling the sound vibrate through my entire body... Gary I can't imagine what it would be like to have an entire rocket system like that...

Growing up in SoCal I remember the twin sonic booms of the re-entry of so many shuttle missions... and as I got a little older and they moved the primary landing site to Florida... watching missions and trying to figure out how to get close enough to watch one of the missions landing at the now secondary site at Edwards. Afterall... it's only 4 hours away from me!!!

Rod.... I find it hard to believe that the man you were speaking with is correct. Afterall... if you look at the schematics and designs for the "next generation" (Constellation Program) of space flight, the AresI and AresV rockets are modeled very closely after the Saturn V rocket and the Orion capsule is loosely modeled after the Apollo type capsules (although why we are intending on going back to the capsule set-up is still beyond me)... anyways... our wonderful President seems to think that the space program isn't worth it and is trying to cancel the Constellation program anyways... it makes me sad to think that my grandchildren won't know an American Space Program as they are born and grow up.... and to think that stories of a space launch will be as much history to them as stories about the Apollo Moon landing are to me...

SoCalGirl #8985 11/05/10 10:21 PM
Bee Offline
I was in Israel when the first Israeli astronaut -- Ilan Ramon -- went up with the Columbia (I still have a scrapbook with him smiling as he entered the shuttle)It was not just another ho-hum shuttle launch as it was in the US, for the most part. The embattled country (Israel in the middle of yet another intifada)was stunned into to a mourning, screeching halt when the Columbia was lost with all aboard.

The body betrays and the weather conspires, hopefully, not on the same day.
SoCalGirl #8989 11/06/10 06:54 AM
Originally Posted By: SoCalGirl
anyways... our wonderful President seems to think that the space program isn't worth it and is trying to cancel the Constellation program anyways... it makes me sad to think that my grandchildren won't know an American Space Program as they are born and grow up.... and to think that stories of a space launch will be as much history to them as stories about the Apollo Moon landing are to me...

Don't fret Chris - our kids and grandkids will be able to enjoy the sights, sounds and wonders of a vibrant space exploration program. They might want to become fluent in Mandarin and/or Cantonese to appreciate it fully, though . . .

Bee #8990 11/06/10 07:04 AM
Originally Posted By: Bee
I was in Israel when the first Israeli astronaut -- Ilan Ramon -- went up with the Columbia (I still have a scrapbook with him smiling as he entered the shuttle)It was not just another ho-hum shuttle launch as it was in the US, for the most part. The embattled country (Israel in the middle of yet another intifada)was stunned into to a mourning, screeching halt when the Columbia was lost with all aboard.

Bee, the Challenger and Columbia disasters are both in that group of events that I can distinctly remember where I was and what I was doing when they occurred or were announced. Right up there with the JFK assassination, 9/11, John Lennon's murder, Reagan's shooting, and a few other major events that will always be with me. That was a very sad day, especially after having had one shuttle accident already.

Bulldog34 #9003 11/06/10 06:58 PM
Rod Offline
Chris
I was in disbelief also but the gentleman I am referring to was a Rocket Scientist named Art Gussner. He was a patient of mine and we went with his family and took my family to watch the lauching of the Magellan which he designed and built for JPL.
In the Cold War race to build the first rocketship to reach the moon was really a military/political exhibition to demonstrate the ability to to launch ICBM's. The U.S. and the USSR were in a race against each other to grab the top German rocket scientists following WWII.The Russians were far ahead of the U.S. in rocket technology. Kennedy's commitment to the space program along with German rocket scientists is the only reason we succeeded.One would think that we could look at our SaturnV's and reverse engineer but apparently it is way more complex than that.Essentially the technology to launch a rocket to the moon died with those rocket scientists.Art stated simply that in the year 1989 the U.S.no longer had the scientists and technological capacity to launch a capsule with a rocket. I took his educated opinion as truth.Still hard to fathom but I believed him.Remember this was in 1989 and maybe things have changed.

Last edited by Rod; 11/06/10 07:02 PM.
Rod #9075 11/10/10 09:32 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Bee
It was not just another ho-hum shuttle launch as it was in the US, for the most part.

Hiya Bee... let me tell you, no matter what anyone else says.. there never has been and never will be anything ho-hum about a shuttle launch. Sadly I know that there are many who take this technology for granted and don't see anything special about it. Those are the ignorant ones who don't care to look beyond the fact that the shuttle looks like an airplane. If we can fly an airplane why shouldn't we be able to fly a shuttle? Please know that many, many of us mourned with Israel when Ilan Ramon went down with his shipmates on Columbia .

Originally Posted By: Rod
Art stated simply that in the year 1989 the U.S.no longer had the scientists and technological capacity to launch a capsule with a rocket. I took his educated opinion as truth.Still hard to fathom but I believed him.Remember this was in 1989 and maybe things have changed.

Rod~ Ok.. I know in 1989 when I first started hearing about the "next generation" systems that NASA was looking at developing for the space program that they were NOT looking at the rocket/capsule type of system. They were looking at bigger, "better" shuttle/glider/plane type systems. (In December of 1989 I went to an "astronaut" training program at Space Camp and they did a lecture series on the next generation... fascinating!)I'm sure they haven't just pulled it out of their tushes as a last minute idea... but it hasn't been until the last 4 or 5 years that I've really started hearing a lot about an actual operational (and feasible) version of a rocket/capsule system to take us back to flight after the Shuttles get decommissioned....

SoCalGirl #9076 11/10/10 09:39 AM
H
H
The Saturn series (Saturn 1, 1B, V) is the only one to have a perfect operational record. There were some glitches, but no failures. Thank you Werner von Braun

Stages to Saturn is a good technical book, but hard to find. I like space books as much as mountain books.

Harvey Lankford #9078 11/10/10 10:04 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
The Saturn series (Saturn 1, 1B, V) is the only one to have a perfect operational record. There were some glitches, but no failures. Thank you Werner von Braun

Stages to Saturn is a good technical book, but hard to find. I like space books as much as mountain books.

Harvey...

I almost tried to call you on that... and then it registered that the only problems they had with the Saturn series of rockets weren't with the rockets, but with the capsules attached to the rockets....

Here's hoping that the Constellation project is as safe and successful as the Saturn...

SoCalGirl #11074 02/24/11 04:07 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Bump because today is the day.

Launch blog is here. It starts at 8:30 WZT. Liftoff time set for 1:50 p.m. WZT.

Watch it on your computer here.

wagga #11083 02/24/11 01:10 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Discovery left (a few seconds late) like a homesick angel. I can breathe now!

wagga #11085 02/24/11 02:52 PM
S
S
Wasn't that a beautiful launch????

Discovery safely away... 11 days in space and then 2 more launches this year before the program is scrubbed and the fleet decommed.... I have never known a day in my life without an active space program.... and now my grandchildren will just know it as a footnote in their history books...

SoCalGirl #11086 02/24/11 03:08 PM
S
S
I agree with your sentiments, Chris.

To scrub the manned space program is a crying shame!

wagga #11089 02/24/11 03:21 PM
C
C
Again, another Ga. Tech grad behind the wheel on this one.

John

SoCalGirl #11090 02/24/11 03:37 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
I've watched about a hundred launches on the tube, probably as many landings. I was present at the first & second landings at Edwards. Viewed both Challenger & Columbia trip and fall.

catpappy #11094 02/24/11 04:35 PM
Originally Posted By: catpappy
Again, another Ga. Tech grad behind the wheel on this one.

John

The North Avenue Trade School strikes again!

Originally Posted By: Steve C
I agree with your sentiments, Chris.

To scrub the manned space program is a crying shame!

Amen! As a kid I lived for the Mercury, Gemini and Apollo programs - I was obsessed with them. I never thought I'd see the day when the U.S. ceded the initiative in manned space exploration to other nations. Really, really sad.

Bulldog34 #11096 02/24/11 06:58 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Nah, do a search on Burt Rutan. SS1 achieved a higher altitude in less than 10 flights than the X15 did in 99.

Speed in the atmosphere is different. The X15 could melt Inconel.

With enough coin, you can now book a commercial space flight on SS2.

wagga #11097 02/24/11 07:26 PM
S
S
Originally Posted By: wagga
With enough coin, you can now book a commercial space flight on SS2.

Which is actually one of the options that the government is considering to keep the US in space until the Pres. remembers that he has to allocate money to NASA in order for them to be able to build a new space flight system....

I've watched many launches on TV.. and have never been lucky enough to see a landing... but living here in SoCal have heard more then once the twin sonic booms of re-entry!

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 02/24/11 07:28 PM.
SoCalGirl #11147 02/26/11 07:06 PM
Rod Offline
The technology that came from the Space program has changed the way we live. The applications of the technology developed is responsible for so many things that we use in everyday life that came into existence simply because of the space program is mind boggling.The whole concept making things smaller and more powerful ie. batteries, computer chips,circuit boards,computers was largely driven by the space program.
That was a beautiful launch.Picture perfect.

SoCalGirl #11151 02/26/11 07:28 PM
CaT Offline
Quote:
I have never known a day in my life without an active space program.... and now my grandchildren will just know it as a footnote in their history books...

An active space program is still with us (and, in fact, is just getting "warmed up") -- just not NASA's version of it. The footnote will be only NASA's shuttle program -- a worthy and memorable footnote, to be sure.

Quote:
I never thought I'd see the day when the U.S. ceded the initiative in manned space exploration to other nations. Really, really sad.

Nothing has been ceded; the only difference is that it is now largely in private hands (with some support from NASA) and not the government alone.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
SoCalGirl #11152 02/26/11 07:42 PM
CaT Offline
Quote:
I've watched many launches on TV.. and have never been lucky enough to see a landing... but living here in SoCal have heard more then once the twin sonic booms of re-entry!

Having previously lived in SoCal, I do remember hearing some of the sonic booms when the shuttles used to land regularly at Edwards AFB (we lived in Palmdale and/or Quartz Hill during that time period).

Also, on one of our visits back to California after we moved to Ohio, one of the shuttle program's top brass attended my mom's large church in Lancaster, and heard about our pending visit, and we were fortunate enough for that person to ask my mom if we would be interested in free VIP passes to attend the landing of one of the shuttles (I think it may have been Atlantis?) at Edwards.

Of course, we took her up on the offer, and aside from having to rise at dark-something-thirty in order to be be in Mojave by, what was it, 5:00 or 6:00 a.m.?, that was one of our special memories. We got to drive our car past all the line of incoming vehicles to a special parking area up front, then hang out with the other invited celebrities (including one TV celebrity) in a special room with food, drinks, etc., while waiting, and then got to go with those same people to a special seating area up front (the equivalent of watching a football game from the 50-yeard line down front), when the shuttle finally was approaching for its landing. We all heard the sonic boom, of course; but watching it land in person was quite special.

Another time, my step-sister, who also worked for the space shuttle program's maintenance division at the time, got us into the shuttle hangar in Palmdale (it was Atlantis again), and we got to walk along the temporary walkway/railing set up all around the shuttle in order to do routine maintenance on it. While they didn't let us inside the shuttle (darn!), we could look in the main entry door and see the inside of it from just a yard or two away. We also got to see a close-up look at the underbelly of that shuttle during the same visit, including the heat shields (my step-sister showed us and let us hold one of the extra heat shield pieces, while explaining how they were built, what they were built of, and how unimaginably delicate they are -- it's nothing short of amazing that they can even take the rigors of reentry, but somehow they do). Also, seeing the rear engines up close and personal is breathtaking. The whole shuttle is huge, and it always struck me as amazing that something like that can even fly (but of course, it can).

CaT

PS - Wagga - Loved the documentary video above on the life of Discovery. Thanks for posting it.

CaT #11156 02/27/11 06:41 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
A rather different view of Discovery's launch.

Stolen from Plane Talking.

"And while it was seen by hundreds of millions of people as plasma screen close ups full of thunderous noise and flames, the last flight of Shuttle Discovery, was also seen, by chance, from the air, by passengers on a United Airlines flight out of Orlando Florida, which just happened to be abeam of the Kennedy Space Center."

wagga #11160 02/27/11 08:48 AM
S
S
Outstanding! Thanks for posting that.

Steve C #11161 02/27/11 09:32 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is a link to live shuttle action. SFW.

wagga #11175 02/27/11 03:58 PM
T
T
I got to step outside my office and watch the launch live from Orlando. One of the few advantages to living in Florida. On a sad note I also watched the Challenger launch from Orlando on that fateful day and knew right away what happened.
Kent

Last edited by trail runner; 02/27/11 04:00 PM.
trail runner #11205 02/28/11 06:07 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Burt Rutan on TED.

"4 percent of the people who have left the atmosphere have died. Not a good way to run a business"

Lots of good stuff on TED, by the way.

trail runner #11297 03/03/11 04:10 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Secret military space plane launching tomorrow at 12:30ish WZT.

wagga #11313 03/04/11 08:29 AM
CaT Offline
Is this the rocket launch that news reports are saying crashed into the Atlantic?

Last edited by Steve C; 03/04/11 08:56 AM. Reason: added link

CaT #11316 03/04/11 09:03 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
No. Glory was launched from Vandenberg.

BBC report.

wagga #11382 03/06/11 09:56 PM
S
S
"New Views of Discovery's Launch from Shuttle's Solid Rocket Boosters"

Uploaded by NASAtelevision on Mar 3, 2011

"Video taken by six cameras mounted on Discovery's recovered solid rocket boosters offer unique views of the shuttle's Feb. 24 launch on STS-133."

Steve C #11392 03/07/11 04:51 PM
Rod Offline
Absolutely spectacular views.It is so strange to watch the ocean shoreline and then the earth as the boosters carry the shuttle away from the launch pad.For a second I felt a little sensation that I get looking over ledges,a little fear of heights. Thanks for posting. That was amazing.

Rod #11394 03/07/11 08:02 PM
Wagga and Steve,

Thank you for posting the videos of Discovery's last flight. I really enjoyed watching them. I just checked out NASA TV's website and saw a message saying NASA really needs people's help (meaning donations). I would really hate to see space exploration end or the pace to slow because the economy is in such a mess. Knowing the USA is exploring space has been a part of my life as far back as I can remember...sometime in my grade school years. Our government has squandered too many tax dollars on unimportant things over the last 50 years and maybe longer. Funding NASA, I believe, is one of the highest and best uses for our tax dollars. I know we all have benefited from what scientists have learned from exploring space. I can't name all the new inventions or innovations that have come from space exploration but I know there have been many. Maybe some of you can list a few.

Lynnaroo
Steve C #11399 03/08/11 08:55 AM
CaT Offline
Absolutely amazing -- couldn't stop watching it!
Thanks for posting the vid of the SRB camera views!!

CaT #11412 03/09/11 03:02 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Discovery will be coming home for the last time at 8:57 WZT today. Here.

wagga #11417 03/09/11 08:05 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Home safely!

wagga #11418 03/09/11 08:07 AM
S
S
Picture perfect landing. Beautiful... rest well Old Girl...

SoCalGirl #11941 03/22/11 01:59 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
How about this!

wagga #12011 03/24/11 03:46 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline

More detail here at The Register.

wagga #12040 03/24/11 05:57 PM
Rod Offline
That was great. Thanks Dave.

Endeavour's Last Flight
Rod #12335 04/02/11 02:48 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Endeavour's last launch is coming up, it's planned for the 19th.

The commander's wife is planning to be there for the launch. Not really noteworthy, except that she is Gabby Giffords & she is making a remarkable recovery.

More detail here.

Re: Endeavour's Last Flight
wagga #12342 04/02/11 05:08 PM
S
S
I'll be traveling... hiking to the bottom of the Grand Canyon actually on that day... I usually watch the launch on TV (or internet)... sadly I won't be able to see this one...

However, I know that they were recently checking the shuttle and external tanks for hail damage from a storm that just passed through....

SoCalGirl #12708 04/12/11 10:55 AM
Today is the 30th anniversary of the first shuttle flight. Even bigger: It's the 50th anniversary of the first person in space. At the height of the Cold War, our adversaries launched a man into space and scared the hell out of the USA. Today, Americans love Yuri. Who would have predicted that in 1961? And who would have predicted that, 50 years later, you would need the Russians to take you to the Space Station?

Meanwhile, 100 years earlier, the Civil War started.

AlanK #12719 04/12/11 02:45 PM
S
S
On another note... the disbursement of the decommed fleet was announced...

--Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex in Florida gets Atlantis
--California Science Center in Los Angeles gets the Endeavour
--Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Virginia gets the Discovery
--Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York gets the Enterprise

SoCalGirl #12733 04/12/11 05:30 PM
I wonder what will become of the shuttle training facility in Houston.

Mike
Mike Condron #12933 04/15/11 04:02 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Last Endeavour flight delayed, now to be launched on April 29th.

wagga #13194 04/24/11 12:58 PM
Rod Offline
Great video of Discovery launch start to finish in high speed.
http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=KZrFC988Thc

Last edited by Rod; 04/24/11 12:58 PM.
Rod #13197 04/24/11 04:31 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
That was so great, thanks, Rod.

Gabrielle should be there to witness her husband's Endeavour shuttle launch.

wagga #13242 04/25/11 05:11 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Gabrielle has been cleared to attend the launch.

wagga #13243 04/25/11 05:14 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Here is the NASA site for timing & other info.

wagga #13276 04/26/11 04:32 AM

More detail here at The Register.

the full First Orbig movie is here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKs6ikmrLgg&feature=player_embedded

Fishmonger #13313 04/26/11 05:15 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Weather is looking good.

wagga #13323 04/27/11 05:16 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
The other Friday affair that's really out of this world.

From the SMH.

wagga #13337 04/27/11 04:48 PM
Wagga, I learned something from this video you posted.... I learned that this Friday's flight is the "next to the last shuttle flight"...I thought it was the last flight.

Yes, this flight is the "other Friday affair".

Personally, I'm going to depend on you to post a video of the launch so I can see it... BECAUSE, at home I'll be recording and watching the OTHER AFFAIR, THE ROYAL WEDDING OF Prince William and Kate AND ALL THE AFTER THE ROYAL WEDDING NEWS SHOWS ON TV.

The difference between boys and girls are Shuttles and Prince & Princesses.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #13378 04/28/11 01:18 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Launch is now set for 12:47 WZT.

If you enjoyed the Runaway Bride, then you should be happy that Operation Pumpkin is fully planned.

"If Wills reacts fast enough, however, he will be able to chase after his fleeing fiancee for just under half a mile.

"Clarence House wanted a full mile," says our source. "But we said come on, play fair, she's in her wedding dress and there has to be some limit on the overtime budget."
"

It's just a pair of pommy toffs getting hitched, you know.

wagga #13409 04/29/11 04:40 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Endeavour is ready to fly.

"At 10 a.m. NASA Television (www.nasa.gov/ntv) will provide coverage of 42 Progress docking to the International Space Station. STS-134 launch commentary will start on NASA TV at 10:30 a.m. "

lynn-a-roo #13415 04/29/11 06:22 AM
S
S
Originally Posted By: lynn-a-roo
Wagga, I learned something from this video you posted.... I learned that this Friday's flight is the "next to the last shuttle flight"...I thought it was the last flight.

The last shuttle launch is scheduled for June....

SoCalGirl #13425 04/29/11 08:17 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Today's launch is delayed for at least 72 hours.

At least Kate didn't do a bolter.

wagga #13436 04/29/11 01:59 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
For Lynn-a-Roo:

Nice Seychelles Blue DB6 MKII Volante. Converted to run on alcohol. Learner driver.

wagga #13503 05/02/11 03:01 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Earliest opportunity for a launch is now May 8th.

wagga #13651 05/05/11 07:22 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Today is the 50th anniversary of the USA's first orbital flight.

Earliest flight for Endeavour is now May 10th.

Picture abstracted from SeattlePi.com.

wagga #13675 05/05/11 04:05 PM
Thank you, Wagga. I still haven't been able to watch the Royal wedding I recorded because I was out of town, so this picture is the next best thing. What a handsome couple, so full of life and happiness.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #13689 05/05/11 04:44 PM
CaT Offline
The wedding was as enjoyable as you would expect. Everything went without a hitch. The bride was cool, calm, collected, and drop-dead gorgeous (as was her sister, Pippa, who almost stole the show). The music was wonderful. The Brits are unsurpassed in their pageantry. An occasion such as this shows all that at full tilt. It was well worth watching; enjoyed it all.

I could have probably done without the narration by Diane Sawyer and Barbara Walters, though; nothing against them personally -- I just thought they overdid the narration a bit -- too much yaking.

CaT

Last edited by CaT; 05/05/11 04:46 PM.

CaT #13691 05/05/11 04:54 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
The good video is over on the Silly Jokes thread, I suppose.

CaT #13750 05/06/11 03:51 PM
CaT,

I love it that you loved watching the Royal Wedding. The world needs Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses, otherwise future generations will not understand what the faces are on a deck of cards and fantasy books will mean nothing to children and little girls won't be able to dream of being a Princess someday and little boys won't dream of slaying dragons and jesters of the court will cease to exist and what about the ROUND TABLE, we have to have the ROUND TABLE forever and ever, and the knights that sit around the ROUND TABLE...we need our knights especially the knights that save damsels in distress.

Yes, the Royal Wedding of Prince William and Princess Kate means the tradition will live on and it's a wonderful thing.

May God Save the King

Last edited by lynn-a-roo; 05/06/11 03:55 PM.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #13922 05/11/11 01:52 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
New date is set for May 16th.

"Endeavour is scheduled to launch Monday, May 16 at 8:56 a.m. on a 16-day mission to the International Space Station."

Image above: At Launch Pad 39A, the access door is open on space shuttle Endeavour for technicians to enter the aft area where the Load Control Assembly-2 (LCA-2) is located. Photo credit: NASA/Troy Cryder

wagga #13964 05/12/11 04:03 PM
You mean it didn't launch on April 29th...I was wondering why I didn't see anything on the news about the launch. I didn't even get any breaking news emails. Thanks for the heads-up about the May 16th launch. I wonder what it didn't launch 4/29, I guess I have to go do a search now.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #13966 05/12/11 04:23 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
One of two heaters on one of the three APUs failed, mission scrubbed.

"Shuttle Weather Officer Kathy Winters has forecasted a 70% chance of having favorable weather for Endeavour's liftoff scheduled for 8:56 a.m. Monday."

5:56 a.m. WZT. Do you get up early?

wagga #14009 05/13/11 11:51 AM
5:56 a.m. WZT. Do you get up early?

I'm sound asleep at that time. I'll set my alarm clock and pray that I don't sleep through it or hit snooze.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #14050 05/15/11 03:55 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
NASA: Shuttle Endeavour 'good to go' for Monday launch.

"With the delay, Endeavour is now scheduled to return to Earth on June 1. That is the same day that Atlantis is slated to roll out to the launch pad, in anticipation of the final mission in the space shuttle program's 30-year history."

Bulldog needs to make the 4:30 a.m. phone call to Lynn-a-roo.

wagga #14067 05/15/11 01:22 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
An interesting CNN opinion piece.

"Space shuttle, you left us far too soon. You'll never be grounded in the hearts of all of us who loved you."

And Gabby Giffords is on site.

wagga #14081 05/16/11 04:10 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Sailing into fair winds on it's her final historic voyage.

- NASA commentary.

Replays are running on NASA TV.

Last edited by wagga; 05/16/11 04:24 AM.

wagga #14109 05/16/11 10:36 AM
Are all the shuttles female?

Thank you for posting the launch, I forgot to set my alarm. My cats kept me up all night so I don't think I would have woke to an alarm if I had set it.

Lynnaroo
wagga #14110 05/16/11 10:45 AM
Bummer, why didn't I think of having Bulldog call me at 4:30 a.m., that would have been the answer to getting me up in time for the launch. Heck, Bulldog could have given all the West Coast WHA members a wake up call. This is a very good reason to have an East Coast friend.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #14118 05/16/11 01:34 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
The shuttles are space ships. All ships are female.

You know, they hide their bottoms, head for the buoys as soon as they reach harbor, and so on.

lynn-a-roo #14138 05/16/11 07:16 PM
CaT Offline
This is a very good reason to have an East Coast friend.

Good point. I'll have to remember that out here in Ohio (Eastern Time Zone).

wagga - I'm laughing at the all ships are female stuff. Very funny!

CaT

Last edited by CaT; 05/16/11 07:17 PM.

CaT #14150 05/17/11 02:52 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
More photos of the shuttle launch from a commercial flight at the washingtonpost.

wagga #14226 05/19/11 03:44 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Ever since the Wright Flyer it has been considered prudent for airmen to walk around the craft, looking for problems. This is a another way to do it.

wagga #14259 05/20/11 01:29 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
NASA found some damaged tiles. A spacewalk to repair tiles in orbit is a possibity. More here.

wagga #14592 05/28/11 02:33 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
RIP Spirit. NASA finally stops radioing Mars rover Spirit.

"It's all over now for Spirit, the lonely Mars rover stuck fast in a patch of crusty Martian sand.

After a brilliant five-year career gathering evidence that the cold and arid planet may once have been warm and wet, Spirit fell into the trap two years ago, and then its radio fell silent on March 22 last year.
"

More here, with pictures!.

wagga #14680 05/31/11 03:24 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Shuttle Crew Prepares to End Mission

"Commander Mark Kelly will fire Endeavour's engines at 1:29 a.m. to slow the orbiter enough for it to fall out of orbit and begin the last leg of its trip, concluding with a touchdown on runway 15 at the Kennedy Space Center's Shuttle Landing Facility at 2:35 a.m."

So, touchdown at 11:35 WZ time. Lynn-a-roo won't have to get up early!

wagga #14692 05/31/11 06:21 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
New Toy!

You can download it here. It needs Google Earth, but we all have that - right?

wagga #14695 05/31/11 08:13 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
The landing blog is here.

If the Google Earth toy freezes, just close/save/start up again.

And NASA TV is up & running.

And, right now, Atlantis is being moved out to the launch pad.

wagga #14698 05/31/11 10:08 PM
S
S
Picture perfect landing... fabulous! Welcome home Endeavor....

SoCalGirl #15793 06/29/11 04:49 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
NASA sets the date for the last Atlantis launch. The very last Shuttle launch.

Atlantis and Crew Prepared for July 8 Liftoff.

wagga #15815 06/29/11 11:47 AM
S
S
I was hoping that our Space and Science Center down here in San Diego would have a special viewing event for the launch. Several years ago (25 or so) they had a special viewing late one night for the Voyager flyby of one of the further planets (I was thinking it was Mars, but wrong... and looking at the timeline for Voyager II Jupiter and Uranus are to early in my life to have been remembered... I remember that it was shortly after the Return to Flight by the Discovery after the Challenger disaster.. so it must have been the flyby of Neptune in 1989)... anyways... the Space and Science Center had monitors set up all over the place inside the museum and recieved a "live" feed of the images sent back from Voyager... I was really hoping they'd do something for the Atlantis Launch... but.. their official word today is:

"As the launch is at 8:26 am local time, and the museum doesn't open until 10:00, we won't be doing anything"...

SoCalGirl #16048 07/05/11 04:51 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline

wagga #16126 07/07/11 05:51 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Engineering Review Board Meeting Ends With Decision to Continue With Launch Preparations. Details here.

"As engineers prepared to move the Rotating Service Structure away from Atlantis, a severe thunderstorm passed overhead, delivering rain and lightning that produced two strikes near the launch pad."

Here is the NASA TV link.

And CNN's take.

Last edited by wagga; 07/07/11 06:09 PM.

wagga #16145 07/08/11 11:00 AM
atlantis deep zoom:

Fishmonger #16146 07/08/11 11:02 AM
another view

there are more angles on the site when you open it up via this link and look at the related stuff below:

Atlantis photosynths

Fishmonger #16147 07/08/11 11:11 AM
http://www.ustream.tv/nasahdtv for live HD video coverage

Fishmonger #16170 07/09/11 04:45 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Fish, thanks, remarkable photos.

Here is a complete post from Plane Talking. I tried to just quote fragments - didn't work. Ben's post exactly mirrors my thoughts, so here is the whole thing.

The last Space Shuttle and some bitter thoughts.

"Amid the close local focus on airline affairs in Australia this week the last Space Shuttle has been launched into orbit, where it will dock at the International Space Station.

It is for this writer, a bitter moment, a moment when the US space program confronts the optimism with which, like so many, I saw the first satellites and their final stage rockets glide through the fields of stars, believing that in my lifetime the first manned interstellar missions might set forth, never mind see the establishment of bases on the moon, Mars and perhaps an asteroid.

The promises of space travel were first spoken for this writer at a time when the great ocean liners carried far more passengers than aeroplanes, and even in this country, it had been but a short time since Vickers Viscounts and Douglas DC6Bs could routinely fly over the Snowy Mountains between Sydney and Melbourne, rather than past them, as had been the then recent case with DC4 Skymasters.

As a 'half' American, the sorrow is somewhat deeper too. Transport systems are creations of social, economic and political change. They facilitate mobility, wealth, knowledge and experience, and from an airliner, or a space craft, no borders are visible.

But when a society retreats into itself, as I see happening in my experience of America, and I see starting to happen in these mean spirited times in Australia, then these simple dreams of younger days crumble and fade.

Transport in America is in disarray, whether by road, rail or air, and this is true of its innovations in space transport in particular, which are no longer considered useful to a society where the anti-science tendency actually translates into political power, where the country is insolvent, and an angry sense of denied entitlement and bewilderment seems to infuse many of those in its major parties.

There is some reason to be optimistic that the rise of privately funded space transport companies will nurture talent and innovation. But on a day when the last Shuttle has lifted off, those ventures seem like candles fluttering in the wind.
"

wagga #16181 07/09/11 10:12 AM
C
C
According to these two there is hope. Will the US lead or follow?

http://www.npr.org/player/v2/mediaPlayer...amp;m=137681438

Nice cockpit vid of Atlantis from a couple years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRMO88Xv_7A

John

Last edited by catpappy; 07/09/11 10:24 AM.
catpappy #16347 07/12/11 05:05 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Whilst waiting for Atlantis to head home, here is an oldie but goodie from 1982.

wagga #16446 07/15/11 09:27 PM
S
S
Rod sent me this...

Here's a nice 360 panorama view of   Discovery's flight deck

Move your mouse around to change the view.

Steve C #16454 07/16/11 06:08 AM
C
C
Did anyone see the air freshener hanging from the rear view mirror?

Also, with all the high tech that goes into shuttle design, you'd think they'd give the astronauts something better to sit on. But what, after 10 min. or so they're weightless, so I guess it's not a big deal.

John

catpappy #16458 07/16/11 10:17 AM
Rod Offline
Thanks Steve. Pretty awesome.

Rod #16632 07/20/11 06:12 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Crew Prepares for Final Shuttle Landing

"Space shuttle Atlantis' wakeup song for landing day was "God Bless America" by Kate Smith, played at 9:29 p.m. EDT, for the entire crew and all the men and women who have worked for the shuttle program over the years. Commander Chris Ferguson, Pilot Doug Hurley and Mission Specialists Sandy Magnus and Rex Walheim will begin deorbit preparations a little before 1 a.m. EDT for their planned landing at 5:56 a.m. at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida."

That's 2:56 WZ time.

wagga #16635 07/20/11 07:26 PM
C
C

catpappy #16642 07/21/11 01:17 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Home safely.

wagga #16644 07/21/11 05:26 AM
Somewhat of a coincidence that July 20th was the 42nd anniversary of the first humans landing on the moon.

Journey well...
+ @ti2d #16660 07/21/11 11:10 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Mission complete: Atlantis returns, ends shuttle era.

"This photo of the shuttle Atlantis' re-entry to the Earth's atmosphere was taken this morning from the International Space Station.
(Credit: NASA astronaut Michael Fossum)
"

"Atlantis swoops to a tire-smoking touchdown this morning at the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.
(Credit: Ben Cooper/Spaceflight Now)
"

wagga #16792 07/26/11 05:48 PM
C
C

catpappy #22391 03/28/12 03:17 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Discovery is mummified and on the way to the Smithsonian. Article here.

wagga #22951 04/17/12 06:15 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
This is her final flight.

From CNN.

wagga #23022 04/18/12 12:32 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Some more photos:

Plane Talking.

FlightBlogger.

wagga #24128 05/18/12 06:32 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
In a few hours, a new era of private space travel should begin.

Article here.

"On Saturday, a company called SpaceX is scheduled to launch the first private mission to the International Space Station, demonstrating a freight-carrying capability NASA gave up when it retired its fleet of space shuttles in July."

"Liftoff of the Falcon 9 rocket, its Dragon capsule filled with food, supplies and science experiments, is scheduled for 4:55 a.m. ET from the SpaceX launch site at Cape Canaveral Air Force Station in Florida. Three days later, astronauts will use a robotic arm to attach the Dragon capsule to the station. Cargo will be unloaded, return cargo loaded in, and the capsule will return to splash down in the Pacific."

wagga #24137 05/19/12 07:06 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Didn't happen. Painful listening to the announcer unsay "Liftoff". Trying again on Tuesday, maybe.

wagga #24810 06/07/12 05:09 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Enterprise Lands in New York. Final resting place.

wagga #26155 07/23/12 04:33 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
A sad note.

Sally Ride passed away today at age 61, of pancreatic cancer.

More details at npr.

wagga #26157 07/23/12 07:55 PM
A sad note.

Sally Ride passed away today at age 61, of pancreatic cancer.

More details at npr.

Ride, Sally Ride

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!
NASA's Last Space Shuttle Takes Off To Its Retirement Home
saltydog #27838 09/19/12 08:16 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Endeavour is on her way home to the WhitneyZone! Last flight of the last shuttle.

Details at CNN.

"On Thursday, Endeavour is scheduled to fly over the White Sands Test Facility in New Mexico on its way to Edwards Air Force Base outside Los Angeles.

On Friday, Endeavour is slated to embark on a tour of Northern California, dipping over NASA's Ames Research Center, Sacramento and San Francisco before heading back to Los Angeles, where it will become an exhibit at the California Science Center.
"

Re: NASA's Last Space Shuttle Takes Off To Its Retirement Home
wagga #27841 09/19/12 10:53 AM
Quote:
A tentative flyover of JPL Friday morning, Sept. 21, will highlight the final journey of space shuttle Endeavour, as it is flown from Florida to Los Angeles atop a 747 aircraft en route to its final home at the California Science Center.

Due to weather and other factors affecting the shuttle's ferry flight, NASA has not announced exact times for flyovers in Southern California. However, on Wednesday the agency said that "any time after 10:30 a.m. on Friday," Southern Californians could watch for flyovers at landmarks including JPL, downtown Los Angeles, Disneyland, the Getty Center, Griffith Observatory and Los Angeles International Airport. The shuttle and 747 are expected to land at LAX at about 11 a.m. Friday.

AlanK #27845 09/19/12 02:45 PM
S
S
Alan K, any chance you can get a photo of the flyover?

Steve C #27858 09/20/12 07:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Steve C
Alan K, any chance you can get a photo of the flyover?

I'm hoping to give it a shot.

AlanK #27860 09/20/12 08:08 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Latest news from NASA.

"Arrival at NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center on Edwards Air Force Base is scheduled for approximately noon PDT. NASA Television will air live coverage of today's landing at Edwards Air Force Base and tomorrow's sunrise departure. NASA TV is available on the Web at http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html"

Flightaware doesn't seem to track live - try NASA906 for the flight number. 906 is actually the Talon T38 escort.

Edit: Arrival at Dryden is 12:20 - 1:00 today. See NASA TV.

wagga #27887 09/21/12 07:01 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Endeavour Ferry Flight Given 'Go' for California Flyover
Fri, 21 Sep 2012 06:54:26 AM PDT

NASA Managers have given a "go" for the 747 Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, carrying space shuttle Endeavour, to depart Edwards Air Force Base and begin a four-and-a-half hour flyover of northern California and the Los Angeles basin.

Weather is forecast to be clear for the entire flight.

NASA Television will air live coverage of the departure at 8 a.m. PDT. Takeoff is planned for 8:15 a.m.

The SCA and Endeavour will salute NASA's Dryden Flight Research Center and the Edwards Air Force Base area after takeoff with a low flyby northbound to Sacramento and the San Francisco Bay Area. Any time after 9:30 a.m. PDT, watch for Endeavour from viewing locations that include the Bay Area Discovery Museum, Chabot Space and Science Center, the California State Capitol, Exploratorium, Lawrence Hall of Science and Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Next the aircraft will travel south, making a pass over NASA's Ames Research Center and Vandenberg Air Force Base before heading into the Los Angeles area. Any time after 11:30 a.m., watch for flyovers of Endeavour passing regional landmarks such as its future home at the California Science Center, Columbia Memorial Space Center in Downey, Disneyland, The Getty Center, Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles City Hall, the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific, Malibu Beach, NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, the Queen Mary, Universal Studios and Venice Beach, among others.

Finally, the SCA and Endeavour will land about 12:45 p.m., at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) for an arrival ceremony before Endeavour is taken off the 747. The orbiter will be transported to the California Science Center next month.

The exact timing and path of the ferry flight will depend on weather conditions and operational constraints. Some planned flyovers or stopovers could be delayed or canceled.

Social media users are encouraged to share their Endeavour sightings using the hashtags #spottheshuttle and #OV105, Endeavour's vehicle designation.

wagga #27908 09/21/12 03:38 PM
K
Ken Offline
K
I was driving in Burbank, when I saw it circling the city.

UNBELIEVABLY H U G E

Really cool.

All sorts of people were on the street to see, cars pulling over (like me) to watch.

Quite something.

Ken #27909 09/21/12 03:46 PM
JPL today (maybe I should have brought a better camera, but 'tis a poor craftsman that blames his tools).

AlanK #27910 09/21/12 04:36 PM
T
T
from burbank

tdtz #27911 09/21/12 04:48 PM
T
T

tdtz #27913 09/21/12 05:27 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
And so it came to pass that a small mountaineering forum became the best source on the Internet for original Shuttle shots.

wagga #27919 09/21/12 10:40 PM
S
S
> And so it came to pass that a small mountaineering forum became the best source on the Internet for original Shuttle shots.

Not to mention SierraNevada's picture and video posted in the other forum:   Space Shuttle Flyover

Originally Posted By: SierraNevada
Watched the last flight from my rooftop on its way to an LA museum.

And his video:

Endeavor Forever
Steve C #27922 09/21/12 10:55 PM
Perfect photo by a coworker from the 14-story rooftop of the CA Resources Building. Endeavour forever...Godspeed

Re: Endeavor Forever
SierraNevada #27932 09/22/12 01:21 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
The story from The Reg.

"As one watcher was heard to tell his wife over his mobile phone, "Honey, I just said goodbye to an American icon." "

Do read the comments.

wagga #28203 10/01/12 06:59 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Found on Jalopnik.

wagga #28443 10/11/12 10:15 PM
Wagga

Since you like space stuff so much you might like the movie "The Dish" about the Apollo 11 Mission. This movie was made in Australia.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #28445 10/12/12 04:35 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Today (and tomorrow) is Moving Day.

lynn-a-roo #28446 10/12/12 05:03 AM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Wagga

Since you like space stuff so much you might like the movie "The Dish" about the Apollo 11 Mission. This movie was made in Australia.

Here is the link to imdb.

wagga #28494 10/13/12 05:45 PM
wagga Offline OP
OP Offline
Watched some Endeavour progress today - a Mach 25 craft moving at 2 mph - at best.

lynn-a-roo: If you liked "The Dish", I'm sure you will love "Red Dog".

wagga #28495 10/13/12 08:35 PM
Wagga

I LOVED ' [u]The Dish '[/u] ..I saw it on a flight....BEST MOVIE I HAVE EVER WATCHED ON AN AIRPLANE. I had never heard of the movie before...I had never seen it advertised on TV or seen it playing at any theater near my home. I think it would be a safe bet that one of the pilots liked this movie and had it played for the passengers. I have been searching for this movie for the longest time and just found it this week. It is now OUT OF PRINT. I read that this movie was a huge hit in Australia in 2000. It's a good movie for the whole family too see if I remember correctly...I don't recall there being any sex...violence ..or foul language. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE. TWO HIKING POLES POINTED UP TOWARDS THE SUMMIT OF MT. WHITNEY!

Hey Steve C. ..... can you add a TWO HIKING POLES UP graphic to the happy face symbol section?

Lynnaroo
wagga #28502 10/14/12 09:41 AM
K
Ken Offline
K
Wagga, that was an amazing video. Astonishing to think that I am in that (in miniscule form), looking up!

Last night, I went down to see the shuttle being moved on city streets. I ended up walking at least 5 miles to get to it, and ended up not seeing it move, as they were some sort of equipment repair for a few hours.

What was VERY interesting was the thousands upon thousands of people down there. Along the route, people had set up chairs in their yards and on their roofs, there were people cooking and selling food, it was a real festival atmosphere. Many, many kids.

Two very notable things: everyone was very friendly and courteous, and it was a very safe feeling situation, although not a good part of town. I saw no alcohol at all, and

I talked to several police (who were very visible and present), who told me that they'd had NO incidents at all.

I came away with the feeling that they should have scheduled this to take a week.

wagga #28528 10/15/12 09:22 PM
Wagga

I checked out the Red Dog link...looks like a wonderful movie...I hope it has a good ending....I love animals sooooo much....if I cry I want to cry happy tears...not sad ones.

Lynnaroo
lynn-a-roo #28535 10/16/12 03:23 PM
Time-lapse video: Space shuttle Endeavour's crosstown journey through L.A. - crosstown journey

Very cool!!

The Mountains are calling and I must go - John Muir
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard