Originally Posted by Caljoy3
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Like you I got lucky, picked up a permit from a cancellation a couple of weeks ago. I’m getting ready to hike whiteny for the first time. A
Enjoy!

Originally Posted by MikeH
Great report. Amazing how quickly you made it to Trail Crest. A testament to your fitness level for sure.
Glad you enjoyed it. I think it's easier when the trail is empty.

UPDATE - 2nd try SUCCESS

I found a last minute cancellation for yesterday (June 14) and jumped on it to clear up some unfinished business. I repeated exactly the same strategy and timing as last time so I didn't want to spam the forum with a near identical trip report but it seemed worth sharing. Not a flex, there are people FAR faster than I can ever go.

Weather
Forecast was for 20mp wind and near 30f with windchill at the coldest. It felt like less wind at the summit, almost none sometimes up there and on the switchbacks. Pretty cold a couple of times when refilling water and I had to stop to warm my fingers after. But nothing really bad and nothing to stop me like last time.

Timing
I repeated my same timing as last time and it worked out.

11pm - left the Portal trailhead
12am - crossed into the Whitney permit zone
4am - on the summit
8am - back at Portal trailhead

Fluids / Fueling
This time I switched from my home made energy gels to my home made drink mix (both are basically just maltodextrin, electrolytes, and amino acids). Using what I learned on my first try, I came up with a hydration/fueling timing plan (how much to fluid drink between each checkpoint and how many calories to consume). I stuck to it like a metronome, sipping constantly and it worked great. I brought 1K calories in drink mix split in 3 portions (also carried 2k emergency extra calories in gels and bars that I didn't touch).

- I filled 2 500ml soft flasks with water and first portion for Portal to 99 Switchback spring
- I refilled flasks with water and second portion at 99 Switchback spring for summit and return
- I refilled flasks with water and third portion at lake by Trail Camp for trip down to Portal

Summit
It was fun being the only person up there. I signed a scrap of paper in the registry (all pages full), then poked around a little to find all the USGS markers, then left. It was pitch black, no light or color on horizon yet.

Return
I first spotted some color and light on the interior basin as I was returning on the back side of trail crest. I could barely start to perceive depth down into the basin and could see faint shadows of the other mountains and lakes below. Passing the first window, I could now see a faint glow on the eastern horizon. When I got back up to the trail crest marker, the horizon was starting to flare. The trip down the switchbacks was phenomenal being in the midst of the alpenglow. Really unforgettable.

Video
I carried a gopro and shot some POV clips along the way up and down. Compiled here, no editing, no commentary, no selfie, no music (I don't mind any of that stuff, but I'm lazy, and I really enjoy watching simple POV trail clips personally).

Happy I returned, for now I'll let others discover cancellation / noshow / walkup permits and maybe look to return at the end of the season or next year to try some other projects.