Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 207 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
futbol
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Recommendation for overnight with son #57118 06/01/2020 6:27 AM
by MalibuMike
MalibuMike
I've got an 11 year old boy and he's strong enough to have just climbed Mt. Baldy without complaining. Planning on getting him up Whitney when he's 12. He's never spent the night in the Sierras and can still get a little nervous about bears, mountain lions, and aliens. Want to find a couple overnight intro trips for him to get comfortable. Looking for some hikes that are up 4 miles in and has a lake or stream to fly fish at. We've hiked in to Mosquito Flats behind Rock Creek for a day hike and I've thinking along those lines. Bishop to June Lake are would be best. Any recommendations from some of you parents?
Liked Replies
Re: Recommendation for overnight with son #57132 Jun 3rd a 06:59 PM
by Hobbes
Hobbes
Definitely Cottonwood lakes.

For one, if you're really coming from the Malibu area, it's only a 4 hr drive to Lone Pine vs 5-6 hrs up to Bishop creek/June lake area. I don't mind driving, but that extra 1-2 hrs changes a lot of things, including fatigue, time leaving home, logistics, etc.

Two, the closest lake is 4.5 miles from the TH. Even better, it only has 1k gain, which over that distance barely registers.

Three, the CWs are still one of the prime GT fishing spots in the Sierra.

Four, it would give you an intro to a very popular back-end route to Whitney via New Army.

SF lake:

[Linked Image]

I took my son up to Whitney via this route when he was 14. Guitar lake before summit/exit the next day:

[Linked Image]

6 years later on our JMT section hike last year (Silver pass):

[Linked Image]
1 member likes this