Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (dbd), 52 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
BFR, futbol, Team Dirty Boots, terraelise, tif
Original Post (Thread Starter)
What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57370 06/22/2020 4:19 PM
by Team Dirty Boots
Team Dirty Boots
Good morning :-) Yesterday we did our longest hike, 17 miles, and I couldn't wait to take my hiking boots off as soon as we were finished :-( If felt like such a treat when I got barefoot! For those of you who have hiked up Whitney, what footwear (boots or good tennis shoes) did you wear. I was thinking of packing my tennis shoes in my backpack in case the discomfort is unbearable on the way down and I just have to take mty boots off. I would appreciate all suggestions! Cindy
Liked Replies
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57398 Jun 23rd a 06:25 PM
by bobpickering
bobpickering
Trail runners are probably better for trails. However, if you’re off trail, the boots are better. Boots work better for brush, stream crossings, scree, snow, talus, rock climbing, etc.

I didn’t set out to do a head-to-head comparison, but that’s what I ended up doing in 2010. I climbed the Mountaineers’ Route in trail runners, didn’t like them, and then climbed it again the same day wearing boots. In a direct comparison, the boots won, hands down.
3 members like this
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57374 Jun 22nd a 05:00 PM
by Goose
Goose
I am somewhat old school, or at least somewhat old, and I always wear actual hiking boots, although I do frequently take flip-flops for a break around the campsite when I overnight. I totally get the temptation to wear sneakers, and I have seen plenty of people do so with success. However, the thought of rolling my ankle as I make my way through the 23rd switchback keeps me in check. Besides, I really love that feeling of finally pulling off my boots. Just my two cents.
1 member likes this
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57375 Jun 22nd a 05:05 PM
by Steve C
Steve C
Here's a good thread to read:
  Anyone hiked Whitney using Mountain Running Shoes?
1 member likes this
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57376 Jun 22nd a 05:06 PM
by MikeH
MikeH
Hi Cindy,

Trail runners/ tennis shoes are my preferred shoe of choice unless I'm hiking on rough rocky surfaces or traversing/ climbing snowy slopes etc. Realistically, you're just walking on a dirt path. Comfort and traction should be important factors in your choices. I switched to Altra Lone Peak trail runners a few years ago and have been very happy. Lots of choices of course.

I've only made it as far as Trail Camp before but do not see why a boot would be necessary on any part of the regular Mount Whitney trail.

Some people believe boots can help with ankle support, so if you have ankle issues, you might take that into consideration. They do make very comfortable, lighter weight boots like the Saloma Quests/ Merrils etc, but I don't think any of them are as comfortable or as light as a pair of trail runners.
1 member likes this
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57384 Jun 22nd a 08:31 PM
by bruce
bruce
I tried Hokas but fell several times while running. They feel like stilts on my feet. Prefer Brooks Ghost as they fit my feet like a glove, have the normal 12mm drop, and have outstanding traction for a road shoe.
1 member likes this
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57383 Jun 22nd a 08:14 PM
by tif
tif
I'm just as good at rolling my ankle in boots as I am in shoes (note I'm REALLY good at it - I've felt my ankle bone hit the ground in full high top boots before). That being said, I've switched to trail runners 90% of the time (unless snow or REALLY uneven off trail terrain) and actually tend to roll my ankle less now. Some of that is general strengthening, but also my Hoka One One trail runners have a very wide footbed outside of where my foot actually is - so I think that helps too. The comfort is absolutely worth it for me.
1 member likes this
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57386 Jun 22nd a 11:11 PM
by cantare
cantare
Ankle "support" from boots is mainly an effect called proprioception: That flexible high-top collar won't physically stop an ankle roll, but because it's in contact with your ankle you feel it happening sooner and can often react quicker.

If you want real support you can wear a lace-up or velcro ankle brace like the ASO over the socks to add true lateral rigidity. Then you can use lighter footwear that reduces fatigue and pounding while making you much more agile...win-win.

I wouldn't use full boots unless I knew my feet would be continually wet and possibly freezing (long stretches of flooded trail, unconsolidated wet snow, eg.) or I needed to wear crampons.
1 member likes this
Re: What are you wearing: Hiking boots or good tennis shoes? #57498 Jun 28th a 09:29 AM
by StorminMatt
StorminMatt
Originally Posted by futbol
I can't think of a single army in the world that has its soldiers not wearing boots. In the US Army I never had a rolled ankle, but most certainly would have had I worn trail runners.

Light pack or day pack and well established trail? Maybe trail runners are superior.

Then again, there are not a whole lot of through hikers on the PCT that hike in boots. Given the fact that these folks can make that choice (vs people in the armed forces), this says something. Let’s face it. Most people find that hiking miles and miles in boots just, well, sucks. Especially if you have to do it day after day. Of course, at the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference.
1 member likes this