Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
bobpickering
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Whitney First Timer, advice/tips/encouragement? #57966 08/24/2020 6:49 PM
by kkdavis
kkdavis
Hello collective wisdom,

I'll be hiking Mt Whitney for the first time next week and was hoping I could get some feedback from the experienced folks on this forum. I've been backpacking for 3-4 years in the Eastern Sierra, but the 'easy' trails (Cottonwood Lakes, Little Lakes Valley, Lake Sabrina), more fun than strenuous. I've been hiking around LA for the same amount of time, but again--fun hikes (Trail Falls, lots of Griffith Park), not serious endeavors. I only started hiking distances/elevation gain in May, once I got this permit. Since then, I've been doing a circuit of stairs (~500 stairs up) in my neighborhood a few times a week, and longer hikes on the weekends. I did Baldy w/o too much trouble about a month ago, Mt Wilson in early June. I also did Cucamonga. My plan for San Gorgonio and San Bernardino got cancelled due to the fires, and these past weeks have been difficult training-wise bc of heat/fires, though I hiked Baden Powell (9 miles r/t, 2500 ft elevation gain) two weeks ago and it felt like a pleasant stroll in the woods--so hopefully I'm still in good hiking shape. I'm a little overweight, but strong, and have a lot of experience on trails, the right gear and what works for me ironed out. I know I usually feel sick around 12k feet, so I'm acclimating for a few days ahead of time.

That being said, not getting any more hard hiking in before my trip worries me some. I will probably do Baldy again this Friday, fires permitting, and if that goes well I'll feel a lot better.
I only know a few people who have summited and they say I'll be fine. What do you think? I read somewhere on here that one should be hiking 25 miles/week before Whitney, and I'm not there. My current thought is, I can probably do this, but I may be real sore afterwards.

My trip is:
2 days/nights @ Onion Valley with hikes towards Kearsarge Pass & Robinson Lake (9200 ft to 12000 ft)
1 night at backpacker campground @ Portal (8300 ft)
hike with big backpack to Trail Camp, 1 night at TC (12000 ft)
Trail Camp to Summit with small backpack/back to Portal with big backpack

then a nice room at the Dow Villa to sleep for a long time. I do have one specific question about camping at Trail Camp: I heard it's busy (I'm expecting it will be) and crowded, plus marmots. Is it safe to leave my tent up while hiking to the summit? It would be nice to not have to pack it up first thing, but deal with it later when returning. Or, is it better to get out of the way first thing when fresh? For some reason, I always hate packing up camp. Any advice would be great!
Liked Replies
Re: Whitney First Timer, advice/tips/encouragement? #57995 Aug 28th a 01:25 AM
by Anton
Anton
Originally Posted by bobpickering
Originally Posted by Anton
Lots of folks in their 60s and 70s do this hike as a day trip ... I bet even Bob can do it smile
I went up last year in April, before the road opened and with lots of snow. I hiked up the Mountaineers' Route, over to Mt. Muir and down the trail. It was a long day, but I could still do it. I'm planning something similar for 2021.

You are my hero!
1 member likes this