Mt Whitney Webcam
Mt Williamson Webcam
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 219 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Big Pine
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Electric bikes on White Mountain Peak? #58005 08/29/2020 5:37 PM
by Big Pine
Big Pine
I'm thinking of taking my parents up to the top of a California 14er for their anniversary, either this year or next year. Problem is, they're in their 70s, aren't in good shape, and haven't hiked in years.

So I came up with the idea of renting electric mountain bikes and having them reach the summit that way. But before I go ahead with that plan, I have two questions -

1.) Is it legal to ride an electric bike past the locked gate? There's a ban on vehicles but a tolerance of regular bikes, so this seems to be a grey area.

2.) Is it considered unsportsmanlike (for lack of a better word) to ride an electric bike on that trail? I can imagine an exhausted hiker looking back, seeing two people fly by him/her, and yelling "cheaters!" in frustration.
Liked Replies
Re: Electric bikes on White Mountain Peak? #58058 Sep 9th a 05:50 PM
by Temecula41171
Temecula41171
I just recently rode my E-BIKE to the top of White Mountain Peak. When I got to the trail head there was a person connected to the research station there and we talked about if it was cool to ride the e-bike on the trail or not. He said

he see's people do it from time to time and thinks it is a great way to go. So I went for it. I ride a lot and for the most part the trail/old road is not bad. There are some tricky parts of the trail that need to be dealt with like some ruts

and rocky areas. Especially about 2/3 of the way to the summit there is a short steep rocky decent. Going down was testy for sure but going back up was a bear. You have to push the bike up a rocky steep section and as you know

these bikes are not light. And as far as pushing the bikes to the top of the peak that's probably not going to happen. As long as they have a full charge when they start they should be able to get to the top. Just be prepared for the

push back up the one short steep section. It is a fun ride, kind of like riding on the moon. Best of luck.
1 member likes this