Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
bobpickering, futbol
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Inyo NF Partial Reopening, Wilderness still closed) #58116 10/02/2020 9:19 PM
by Ian B
Ian B
[Linked Image]

The closure has been extended until December 1 for the Inyo NF portion of the John Muir Wilderness. Almost all of the Whitney Zone, including the trail, is within this closure zone. I have heard that the closure is being enforced and tickets are being issued for violations.

Between COVID closures, rockfall closures, and these fires closures, I would guess Whitney summits are down by a lot this year.
Liked Replies
Re: Inyo NF Partial Reopening, Wilderness still closed) #58143 Oct 9th a 08:32 PM
by dbd
dbd
Early season we had people blaming the Forest Service for county, state and rec.gov problems that were out of FS control. At least those people were in favor of access.

Late season, while coping with a record fire year, we get someone who, confused by the rules, despite direct accurate responses to his questions keeps suggesting that it would be easier to close down what safe recreation access remains so he wouldn't be confused.

There are still a lot of people outdoors looking for mountain access. (See So Cal Jim's post.) The forest service is doing what it can to preserve safe access and now people suggest shutting access down to cure their confusion. A tough year for the FS, but I think that where they had a say, they got it right.

Dale B. Dalrymple
1 member likes this