0 members (), 30 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Jesse N, MuffenMan, tif
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Whitney on Dec 1. Join? Feedback? #58221 11/22/2020 6:04 PM
by RenRev
RenRev
I am looking at ascending Whitney on the 1st of December, 2020 (or thereabout, weather depending) and looking for anyone who would like to join my ascent?

Also seeking anyone living locally or who has climbed to the peak recently?

I would like to know what to expect, I am an experienced hiker, however, I am newish to winter hiking and have never ascended Whitney before.

Thank you all in advance!
Liked Replies
Re: Whitney on Dec 1. Join? Feedback? #58224 Nov 23rd a 06:14 PM
by bobpickering
bobpickering
You definitely don’t want to count on somebody you don’t know (other than a guide) for route-finding or anything else that affects your safety. But letting a stranger tag along can turn out well.

Back in 2012, I was planning a March dayhike of the Mountaineers’ Route with RichardP. Richard used to post frequently on WPSMB, and his accomplishments include dayhiking Whitney every week for a year. Somebody posting as “Happy Trails” asked to join us. One of us replied with something along the lines of “If you can keep up with us, you can hike with us”. End of conversation.

As Richard and I were preparing to leave the Portal, a tiny Korean girl approached us. “Hi, I’m Happy Trails!” We both rolled our eyes and expected her to disappear in our rear view mirror before we got to the first stream crossing. She cheerfully kept up with us until stomach cramps turned her around at 13,600’. Richard and I summited, and we all hiked down together.

Over the next several years, Happy Trails and I dayhiked Middle Palisade, Mt. Langley, Mt. Tyndall, Split Mtn., Mt. Shasta, and Mt. Whitney (the Mountaineers’ Route in April and the main trail in December). We also did technical climbs on North Peak and Cathedral Peak. I’m sure glad we let her tag along.
2 members like this
Re: Whitney on Dec 1. Join? Feedback? #58232 Nov 24th a 07:11 PM
by RenRev
RenRev
Thank you everyone for your input!

I am quite experienced with mountaineering, I have backup plans, a full proper kit to last me days (if a fall is survived), ice axe, crampons, first aid, plenty of winter gear etc... Coming from Australia I was raised out in the bush exploring for days on end from a very young age, and I have a high level of fitness.

The weather has since changed and Fri 27th - Sun 29th are the best days now (still need to check conditions prior to).

I'm looking to get a start at 2.30am and taking the Whitney Trail, it's my first time at this mountain so want to get a feel for it before taking the mountaineers route unless someone who has taken the mountaineers route before wants to join me, I will then happily follow your lead.

Can you drive to the trailhead and camp the night prior? or is the gate closed already?
1 member likes this