0 members (), 172 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Jesse N
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Room for 3 more at Whitney Portal Camp 5/28 and 29?? #58540 04/28/2021 6:03 PM
by zoe
zoe
Does anyone have any extra space for 3 people (2 backpacking tents) at the Whitney Portal camp Memorial Day Weekend? By the time I got my lottery results the campground was all booked up! We're coming from OC so we were hoping to spend a few days at the higher altitude before beginning our overnight hike on Sunday. Let me know if we can squeeze in with you! 3 30 y.o. fit hikers (2 girls, 1 guy), one car! We'll bring beers to share!! And of course split the cost of the campsite.
Liked Replies
Re: Room for 3 more at Whitney Portal Camp 5/28 and 29?? #58541 Apr 28th a 11:17 PM
by WanderingJim
WanderingJim
There is the hike in backpackers camp at the portal that you don't need reservations for.

And Horseshoe Meadows has walk-in campsites that you don't need reservations for. It's at 10k so is even better to get used to the altitude.
1 member likes this
Re: Room for 3 more at Whitney Portal Camp 5/28 and 29?? #58588 May 5th a 11:22 PM
by Paul
Paul
There is always parking, it depends how far down the road you may end up.

I believe you have a day hike permit, correct?

Actually, I will be up there the whole week prior to and leaving on Monday. As a family, my father started taking us up to the Portal since the early 50's And, back in 87, my brother and Doug who owns the Portal store both wanted to buy it. Doug won out, and it was the best. Doug is amazing.

Just a little more info on the Ravine. Most people are unaware that it exists. There are about 20 sites and I have never seen more than half a dozen or more people camped there. Now, having said that you do have to carry your stuff in and it is, as advertised one night only, but from my perspective, no one checks because it is rarely used.

You can access the Ravine either via the overflow parking lot, or the road. Just check it out and see, one, which is the best approach.

I will be up there memorial Weekend, at campsite 31.

I usually spend the week hiking at Onion Valley, Horseshoe Meadows and maybe Meysan lakes.

This will be my 57 year hiking in the Sierras.

Paul
1 member likes this