0 members (), 52 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
LUIS DE LA ROSA, MikeH, Snacking Bear
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Mt Williamson any advice for a two days trip ? #59223 08/25/2021 2:35 PM
by LUIS DE LA ROSA
LUIS DE LA ROSA
Any advice on a two days trip to Williamson we have permits for this weekend thank you.
Liked Replies
Re: Mt Williamson any advice for a two days trip ? #59225 Aug 25th a 03:32 PM
by futbol
futbol
Take a look at my recent trip report.

Getting to the trailhead (Shepherd Pass) can be tricky, both in terms of finding it (Foothill Rd) and navigating it.

There is not much room in the bear boxes at the trailhead, and bears are known to visit the parking area late in the year. Consider leaving anything with a scent (that you are not hiking with) in town or in a bear box at Horseshoe Meadow.

Recommend acclimating first, then drive to the trailhead early and try to make it to at least Shepherd Pass (12k') on the first day of your hike.

Mark a way-point of your campsite. Head up to Mt Williamson bowl in the morning. You will want to study your route through the bowl on a map ahead of time and/or use a navigation app to find your way to the black stain.

Good luck!
2 members like this
Re: Mt Williamson any advice for a two days trip ? #59226 Aug 25th a 07:16 PM
by SoCal Jim
SoCal Jim
To be clear about N-95 masks and smoke, they can help reduce inhalation of some smoke particles if the mask is properly worn and fitted. (Retired ICU nurse; my hospital had staff scheduled annually for mask fittings.) The mask must be sealed to the face with two straps. If it's not sealed snugly and/or if you have facial hair (like Bob and me), you might as well be wearing any mask in terms of protection. It's my understanding that wildland firefighters don't wear face masks of any kind because they don't offer effective protection and masks make it too hard for them to breathe with the heavy exertion they perform. (Protection from COVID by masks is a little different. Virus particles are being filtered, not smoke particles and toxic gases. Numerous studies prove that masks provide effective protection, which is why doctors and nurses won't enter a COVID patient's room without one. But they must still be worn properly. And yes, there are multiple studies showing that masks are very effective in preventing viral transmission in public spaces indoors.)
2 members like this
Re: Mt Williamson any advice for a two days trip ? #59224 Aug 25th a 03:17 PM
by bobpickering
bobpickering
Camp at Shepherd Pass. Be sure you know the route up Williamson. Bring N-95 masks to protect your lungs from smoke.
1 member likes this