0 members (), 121 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
BFR, bobpickering, NVG
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Mountaineers’ Route 4-29-22 #59548 05/01/2022 5:10 AM
by bobpickering
bobpickering
NVG and I dayhiked the Mountaineers’ Route yesterday. It took 15 hours, but at 73, I’m just not as fast as I once was. Getting old sucks, but it beats the alternative.

Conditions were about as good as you could hope for in late April. The weather was nice all day. There was almost no snow before Lower Boy Scout Lake. There was considerable snow between Lower and Upper Boy Scout Lakes, but it was still mostly bare ground. There was somewhat more snow going up to Iceberg Lake. It was all snow from Iceberg Lake to just below the top of the chute. The Final 400 still had snow, but there was more rock than snow.

We only used crampons and axes in the chute. Stiff boots and ski poles were all we needed below Iceberg Lake. The snow was reasonably firm all day. No major postholeing anywhere, and no real ice. The chute wasn’t packed completely, but it wasn’t bad either. By the time you read this, it should be pretty well packed.

We rarely touched the snow going up and down the Final 400. That wasn’t easy, since there is still considerable snow, wet rock, and wet sand on the rock. I didn’t see any real ice. Other climbers were going up and down the snow as much as possible. I saw one other guy on the rock. When I commented on him being the only one using the rock, he felt the need to explain. You see, he did the entire ascent using MICROspikes! I asked him if I was allowed to call him a dumbshit. He laughed, and said, “Yes!”

I hope this helps anyone going up soon. As you’ve heard countless times, conditions can change fast, so be prepared for whatever the mountain throws at you.
Liked Replies
Re: Mountaineers’ Route 4-29-22 #59559 May 2nd a 03:25 PM
by jackeichler
jackeichler
You are my hero. My goal is to just be hiking at age 70, let alone day hiking Whitney Mountaineer's route. I am going to pin up this trip report on my fridge just for motivation... smile
2 members like this
Re: Mountaineers’ Route 4-29-22 #59562 May 3rd a 04:19 AM
by SoCal Jim
SoCal Jim
Yeahhh, I'm turning 70 in a couple of months. I committed to doing a guided climb on Mt Baker with my son a few days after my BD. I'm motivated by not wanting to disappoint him. It's a lot harder ramping up your fitness level and maintaining it after 60, as Bob said. Living at 6500" elevation (now) in the Lake Tahoe basin helps, with all the outdoor activities right outside my front door. As long as I can keep doing it... Bob's my hero, too.
1 member likes this