0 members (), 68 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Thread Like Summary
Louie
Original Post (Thread Starter)
Saw most people on MR with foam pads on packs #60007 05/14/2023 9:20 PM
by jaym
jaym
Since it is only snow camping up there, those are probably supplemental and backup pads right?

Portal road has been open since Weds I think. Grabbed a Mountaineering Route permit (Thurs as Fri-Sun were gone). Top lots still closed but completely cleared (waiting for trash collection/bathroom cleaning services to start?). Went up to Lower Boy Scout Lake with dog. Continuous snow starts less than a quarter mile from N Lone Pine Creek junction. Zero acclimitation, altitude nausea as usual, was going to acclimitize on the mountain.

Stupid XTherm Max air pad had a leak and I blamed my dog. I get frightened when she does her go in a circle nesting behavior on my air mattress. But the leak turned out to be a slash on the bottom of the mattress. Now I am confused, did I pop it tearing down my camp a few years ago? I did not want to go up to Iceburg Lake for an extended stay with a leaky mattress so aborted my trip. Plus, altitude nausea was still in effect (even with Diamox).

So now I am thinking that relying on an air mattress on snow is not very smart. Especially with a dog in the tent.
Liked Replies
Re: Saw most people on MR with foam pads on packs #60016 May 17th a 05:17 PM
by tif
tif
If you use a lower R value pad for 85% of your trips, it's way easier/cheaper ot add a $40-50 closed cell pad to that to get to your 5-6 r value for snow compared to buying a whole separate pad that is 5.5+ R value for something you don't use as frequently. Also - the closed cell makes a fantastic big sit pad for eating/resting/etc when on snow to give some insulation and waterproofing when cooking/eating/relaxing outside the tent. I bring a short length closed cell pad on even my summer trips to use more as a big sit pad than insulation at night just because it's comfy to have a little cush to sit on and keep myself out of the dirt in camp each night.
1 member likes this