Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Labor Day Multiday: Four Equipment/Logistical Questions
#3461 04/07/10 10:58 PM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
Hello. Going to make our first attempt on Labor Day weekend. Have 2-night permits. Four questions:

1. Planning to stay at Trail Camp. Do regular tent stakes work and is there sand/ground to stake into? Or do you tie off on rocks or something?

2. Down jacket or fleece jacket? Want to go light. Sure loved having the (packable) down jacket in late August in Yosemite this past year. But could imagine layering instead (i.e, long sleeve polypro, plus vest, plus fleece jacket, plus rain/wind layer) and not bringing the down jacket.

3. At 12,000 feet in early September, are we okay with a cannister stove? Or should we really go to the white gas route....?

4. Having camping reservations at the portal campground the night before. Assume we have to move car to trailhead parking in the morning. Is there enough parking? What time do you have to get to trailhead parking to ensure you get a reasonable space.

Thanks!

Re: Labor Day Multiday: Four Equipment/Logistical Questions
Akichow #3463 04/08/10 12:13 AM
S
S
Congratulations on your permit!

> 1. Planning to stay at Trail Camp. Do regular tent stakes work and is there sand/ground to stake into? Or do you tie off on rocks or something?

Most of the sites at Trail Camp are pretty rocky or on smooth granite. So driving stakes likely won't work. But there are plenty of rocks around. wink
Here's a picture from Trail Camp.

> 2. Down jacket or fleece jacket?
I would take the fleece and layers. Consider leaving the vest behind.

> 3. At 12,000 feet in early September, are we okay with a cannister stove?
It should work fine.

> 4. Is there enough parking?
If overnight parking is full, people park along the road.

...ok those are my opinions. Hope others will reply.
And you might find this helpful: Bob R's ultralight pack list

Akichow #3465 04/08/10 07:09 AM
W
W
To answer your question and give credence to Steve's...

1. Staking...It's rocky but most of the campsites will allow for staking.

2. Fleece/Down...I use down exclusively in the Sierra summer but it is an 11 oz. down jacket, which is warm as Polartec 300. Temperatures can be mild to cold any time in the Sierra. One of my coldest Sierra nights was in August...and I'm a four season backpacker. Just check the forecast and Cottonwood Lake Reporting Station prior to putting your clothing list together for this trip.

3. Stove...Canister is fine. If it's very cold, sleep with the canister or put in water when you fire it up. Both will improve performance.

4. Parking...is hit or miss. If nothing is available, drop your gear and find the best possible spot. We usually park in the overflow area for our trips.

Steve C #3478 04/08/10 06:49 PM
Akichow Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you, both posters, for your answers! I appreciate it!!!

Akichow #3494 04/09/10 09:42 AM
G
G
I second the fleece and layers. Last Labor Day (2009) we got snowed on....

Link Copied to Clipboard