Steve, it does get cold here in the South.

Record low for Ga. -17 in 1940

Record low for Atlanta -8 in 1985

Record low NC. -34 on Mt. Mitchell in 1985

Gary, I well remember that 93 storm. This storm is known as the Storm of the Century. Lots of info on the web about it. In a nutshell, over March 12-13 a extratropical low pressure system with cat 2 hurricane low pressure formed in the Gulf of Mexico, moved ashore in Fla. with high enough storm surge to drown a few people. The low then slammed into an artic high pressure system spilling out of the high plains and produced record amounts of snow and high winds and travled all the way into Canada, kiling over 300 people. What I remember the most, is the wind the day it moved through Atlanta. Near gale force and substained for most of the day. Mt. Leconte in the Smokies got over 60' of snow out of it.

One funny side note from this. My wife at the time who was from Anchorage had invited her best friend from Anchorage down for some nice southern sunshine and tour of some of the nice southern homes here. She got in the day before the storm hit. No sunshine, no tour. Weather in Anchorage was nicer than here.

And Steve, don't worry about Gary being stranded at work. What he didn't tell you was his workplace is only a stones throw from Hooter's Headquarters.

john