Hi Lynn-a-Roo. Phenominal bargains can still be found with patience and some luck of being at the right place at the right time in good local gear shops if you have done your homework with researching brand, price and quality. I am re-gearing both myself and hubby from our 1984 items-classics but HEAVY! Hubby loved his older than dirt (and about as clean) 6 lb EMS pack. I was browsing the clearance rack in a local sporting goods store and spotted a Gregory Z55 pack in size large with the markdown price of $68 on it. After rubbing my eyes and confirming it was the actual price and not missing a leading digit (apparently a post holiday return taking up floor space needed for new models), I took it home, he tried it on, and declared with a shocked grin that it was the best thing he had ever worn. I did correct him that the color of the pack is 'Sonoran Gold', not 'Bear Piss Yellow' (lol). I had similar luck finding a half price down sweater (for layering), 30% off hiking boots, and a closeout 15 degree down sleeping bag for myself (no, not all in 1 day-I wish!). I also got a used Isis down vest from EBay for a few dollars, washed it, and it lofted beautifully. Gotta love recycling! But even with these finds, it *is* undeniably an expensive hobby, but soooooo satisfying..... wink