Originally Posted By: wbtravis
My guess is there is a way to minimize this problem but it is difficult because of the FS/PS thingy. MY guess is their computers are not networked; therefore the Trans-Sierra and JMT are never going to fall into this net. However, most of these folks are going exit the same day they summit spending less time in the Whitney Zone the average MMWT backpacker. My guess is these folks are not the problem anyhow.

The bulk of the bulk of the problem is 185 people who could put permits daily from the Inyo. All that is required is you put $xxx deposit for a serialized WAG bag(s). Upon return you turn in your WAG to get your deposit back.

Of course, this creates its own set of problems. The question is does it minimize the current situation where the forest service expects the citizenry to pick up and carry out the miscreant's hazardous waste.

small note: The waste is not generally hazardous to the originator, however it is to anyone else. For example, an HIV-positive person will have the bug in their waste, but cannot contract it, because they already have it. However, to someone else.......

I agree that the problem resides with the 185.