Steve - you hit on the key point. These things don't happen for free. If someone is getting free food, someone else is paying (thank you Dr. Friedman). Tools cost money, as do gloves, pack animals, insurance, paperwork, regulatory and tax filings, etc.

At dinner one night at my last AHS Whitney outing someone remarked "I've never seen people who were paid work harder" and the place erupted in laughter. But it was absolutely true...everyone worked to exhaustion.

Sometimes people value things beyond the wallet. Other people are willing to pack out improperly disposed wag bags...not much money in that, either. Wonder why it happens?

$495 seems extreme. I'm sure the AHS fee carries a certain amount to cover overhead and maybe there is a small amount of involuntary donation. My sense is, not much. If I really wanted to be angry about wasted money my next hike would be Washington, and for that place there is no shovel big enough.

If you get something going with WHA projects, please let me know. I think the only real requirement to make it tax deductible is a properly formed 503(c)(3) entity, then a lot of time and energy. Don't feel bad about covering your costs (after all, nothing is free) and keep me in the loop.