Steve, thanks for posting those links. After reading each one, I now have a much clearer idea of where these poor folks disappeared. It astounds me that they reached the Anvil Sprngs area in a minivan. I've driven down the valley on the West Side Road several times over the years, but never tried to go very far west on any of those canyon roads in a rental car as they are all designated either 4WD, HC or both. Looking at a map, it seems they managed to cover about 30 miles of some of the most rugged roads in the park - in a minivan, for crying out loud - before their luck ran out.

Sadly, it's just another example of how people underestimate this park, particularly in the summer. Far too many have made the fatal mistake of getting too comfortable in their air-conditioned vehicles and pushing the envelope too far, especially without being properly equipped in case they're stranded. With two young kids along - well, I just don't get it. When I dayhike there in the winter, I always throw my sleeping bag in the trunk each morning, along with the 6-8 gallons of water and food supply I always have handy in the vehicle. And that's with daytime highs rarely exceeding 85 degrees at Badwater. In summer, with the 120s - no way!