Oh, don't worry. This story has been picked up by every paper and blog in the country. Check out the 112 comments in the LA Times story:

http://discussions.latimes.com/20/lanews/la-me-0721-yosemite-plunge-20110721/10

Some of my favorites:

"Yes, accept that now the unfortuante and innocent Vernal Falls will be punished."

"The accident, this, and the accident that. What the heck is an accident and how does the word / term apply here?"

"However, the man cited as holding a child is guilty of child abuse."

"Ignoring posted signs and repeated warnings, they had climbed over the metal-bar barricade to get in the Merced River about 25 feet from the edge of the falls."

Darwin 3, God 0."

"I think a lot of the tendancy to villify the victims comes from anger that they would be so stupid as to needlessly die like that AND in the process sear the memory of their deaths into the minds of innocent witnesses who implored them to get out of the water. Thanks to their truly stupid, foolish, selfish, mindless behavior there are plenty of victims to go around beyond the immediate families. There's no way to put a pretty face on this. When you make a truly fatal choice where there are signs in seven languages advising you not to, you're going to get ridiculed. It pisses people off that you would waste your life in such a fashion. Not to mention endanger a child who has no choice in the matter. These are clearly people who can learn only one way: from direct experience. They won't be crossing barriers around waterfalls, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if some part of their group ignores some other warning some other time with the same results."

"I was there when this happened. Though I did not directly witness the accident, most of the eyewitness accounts stated the inane behavior of this group. Most of the people who saw the accident were very incensed at the man who was dangling his little girl over the edge of the very scary drop that is Vernal Falls."

"I'm retired from the Coast Guard Reserve, and I remember too many weekends going after too many people that go past signs and climb over fences to their death.

I don't know if it's hubris or naivete, but it kills them dead.

One of the most effective deterrents has been to place memorial plaques at the sights listing the names and dates of those lost going past the warnings and barriers.

Perhaps the National Park Service will give it a try..."