Originally Posted By: Bulldog34

On the sleeping-in-vehicles question, yes it's done often - almost a ritual for many. However, I heard Amy at the store tell two different people who asked the same question that, no, it is not allowed. After the second one, I asked her about it. She said the INFS has asked that the store discourage people from doing so, although they know it happens every day. She mentioned that very occassionally a Forest Service employee will make rounds late at night looking for auto-sleepers outside the campgrounds. This was news to me. Anyone have any experience with this?

National forest and BLM lands are usually open to "dispersed camping". In areas with developed campgrounds this is not allowed. The usual notices are signs that say "Camp only in developed sites" or "No RV camping beyond this point". These signs are common on Sierra trailhead roads that have developed campgrounds. In times of reduced budgets, enforcement is targeted at problem areas and the Portal is a problem area.

Before the bear problem days, I slept at the portal. I've been talked to and charged camping fees, but usually not noticed in all the traffic at the Portal in season. The Portal has become less attractive with the bear problem, limited bear-resistant storage (particularly on weekends) and the abundance of people incompetent to use the bear-resistant storage facilities.

Dale B. Dalrymple