Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
My favorite is Val Kilmer (select from about 5 different scenes) in Tombstone

"I'm your huckleberry . . . "

Got a T-shirt I bought in Tombstone a few years ago that says that, with a silkscreen of Kilmer's Doc Holiday. Love that shirt.

Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
p.s. 5 Gary is the fastest hiker downhill I've ever seen. Sucks for me because I hate downhill and try to keep it slow and less stress on my legs, knees, hip.

That's just to offset my very deliberate, granny-gear pace uphill. I have a naturally fast gait, but it's taken a lot of conscious effort to dsicipline my uphill pace so that I don't wind up stopping every 10-15 minutes to suck wind. That's just how I've generally always hiked. John Whitworth (catpappy) and Bob Pickering can mostly be thanked for finally getting me over my jackrabbit uphill tendencies after a few hikes in Death Valley back in March, particularly a day on super-steep Corkscrew Peak. I truly learned to pace myself on the uphills from those two guys.

I still tend to fly on the flats and downhills, though, especially if I'm using trekking poles and feel like I've got the stability of a mountain goat. It's not an issue for me since I can keep it up for hours, but it does sometimes create problems with hiking partners. Joe gave me quite a bit of grief over my pace coming down Whitney last year, especially on the switchbacks. I think we covered Trail Crest to Trail Camp in about 30 minutes of hiking time. My wife has learned to keep up with me on the flats and downs, but my daughter still occassionally yells her patented, "slow-down-dad!"

Besides Joe, I took it pretty easy coming down Whitney last month. We had heavy packs and I was deliberately not moving very fast since Brianne was with us. Other than the times we got separated due to talking to others on the trail, you were right there with me. Didn't I ask you several times if you were OK with the pace? You gotta let me know if not, bro!