On wpsmb in the Personal locater beacons - the Yuppie's 911 thread:
Originally Posted By: Karen R
OK, I bought Son of Spot, not because I wanted it, but because it gives my family peace of mind. I hike/backpack solo. Even the most experienced person can be in the wrong place/wrong time. Spot is not 100% accurate, but my family relaxes when they get the I'm OK, and they'll know my last location if I go missing. Just another tool, not perfect. And yes, I'm annoyed by the extra weight and pushing the stupid buttons, but it's a fair trade off so they feel better.

Originally Posted By: BiletChick
Hey Karen
I haven't hiked solo yet, but the family still worries. I was given one for Christmas for the same reason as you...piece of mind for others.
I have not activated it yet so I can't comment on the accuracy. IMO SPOT is a great tool when used properly ie: tracking purposes. The 911 feature has always seemed to me like an easy way out for (inexperienced and/or unprepared) hikers...with no consequences when it's abused.

Karen and BiletChick (since you're both members here): Have you sent your units back in for the recall? I also got a SpotII for Xmas, and just got the mailer from them and sent it back. They're moving pretty slowly, so make the contact and get the process started.

The new units are nice -- quite a bit smaller and lighter. But the major drawback for hiking is the belt clip has been removed. I like to carry mine on my shoulder strap (old one shown here):

I'll have to create some sort of velcro strap or something to attach the new one.

As for accuracy, mine has been very good, except in canyons where the sky is not as accessible to the unit. And I loaned it to a friend who carried it on her hip belt, and almost NO signals got out!

And I use mine especially for family peace-of-mind. But then, if and emergency arises (probably never will), it's nice to have along.

My son is planning a southbound PCT hike this summer starting at the Canadian border in June, and he'll be taking the unit along. It will be lots of fun keeping track of his progress.

Incidentally, last Saturday, I put mine up on the ski rack before we started home -- to send one more OK checkpoint -- and then forgot and drove down the road. It fell off from over 6 ft onto the pavement going about 35 mph. Checked the unit tonight, and it still works fine. cool This is the second tumble it has taken; last one was down the back side of the Half Dome Diving Board. Very hardy units!