Thanks for great discussion. I think all these work-a-rounds and special handling techniques exemplify what I meant by "more tinkering than any other piece of gear ever." It's not that I couldn't keep the stove going, it was just too much effort and there was always some uncertainty about how it would perform.

I bought high quality fresh gas every season (which also drives up the cost alittle). I did not filter my white gas, so I guess I didn't actually try "everything." My random flare ups occurred as a result of clogging, which caused a weak initial flame followed by liquid fuel sputtering into the bowl. I primed with a lot denatured alcohol so I know it was hot enough. Sometimes the clogging occurred during cooking, the stove burned slow and cooled down, and then when I pumped up the pressure it squirted liquid fuel and flared up.

Bottom line for me: the Whisperlite was a heavy piece of work compared to a canister stove. Great that the new design will accept canister fuel. Good to have versatility, but that's not an important consideration for me. If I'm ever headed for Himalaya or the Arctic, I'll reconsider.