Originally Posted By: Steve C
Wow! Vastly different experiences here. I have never filtered my Coleman fuel, never bought new each year -- just replace that gallon rectangular can each time it gets low.

And I have never had a stove clog even once, and have never had a flare-up, or a slow-down for any reason other than pressure depletion.

I DO check out the stove before I head out, though, lighting it up and testing it for leaks (rubber O-ring cracked once). I oil the pump once in a while, too. ...but that is all.

Hi, Steve,

Yeah, my experience is more like yours. I even have the old pre-shaker jet Whisperlite. Never a clog, although I have had problems with cracks in the "O" ring that seals the pump to the fuel bottle.

I wonder if SierraNevada's stove had crud in the fuel line. Something that would periodically dislodge, go down the fuel line, and then clog the burner. I've seen that before on other people's stoves. In that case, one has to scour the line with the built in cable. A pain-in-the-arse, and a dirty job, but it usually takes care of business.

Interesting point re the above: the flip stop technique will clear the line and typically prevent the kind of problem that SierraNevada is describing.

HJ

Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving