Mike, thanks for the followup information. Glad you are with us.

I was not there to know your whole evaluation, but would like to offer this informal medical observation: your case does not seem typical, but then many cases of HAPE are not.

If one goes by the adage "symptoms at altitude are altitude sickness until proven otherwise" then you had HAPE. But, the cardiac studies include elevated enzymes and going as far as heart catherization suggests your medical team was perplexed about the root cause(s) of your illness.

You mentioned followup in the clinic. I hope they plan to repeat your echocardiogram and find that it has normalized. The only way I know of HAPE causing a lowered ejection fraction (45% you mentioned) would be really severe HAPE with severe "global hypoxia". So I think it is very important to repeat that echocardiogram. My two cents worth.

Stay well, Harvey

PS some quotes from the mountaineering literature:

Acclimatization theory and practice differs widely between climbers.
Alex MacIntyre, The Shishapangma Expedition page 105

One man acclimatises quickly, another slowly...The whole process appears to be analogous to sea-sickness about which predictions are impossible.
Eric Shipton, Upon That Mountain page 376

It was certainly the most severe attack of altitude that I have ever witnessed. But I have long ceased to wonder at manifestations of this capricious complaint.
Eric Shipton, Mountains of Tartary page 484

Apart from the difficulty of performing any action with such a low oxygen intake, there is also an unquantifiable risk of contracting pulmonary edema or cerebral oedema, the sickness of high altitude which fills the lungs or brain with fluids. This, at best, is incapacitating and at worst is fatal.
Joe Tasker, Savage Arena page 179

Last edited by Harvey Lankford; 09/11/11 12:54 PM.