Hey, Jim - Welcome to the message board!

With or without the cables, "5.11 something" would be vertical (90-degree slope), and Half Dome is nowhere near vertical (a ~50-degree slope at one brief steepest point). The biggest danger, in my opinion, besides overcrowding (or actually, because of it) is the fact that the long-time "cow path" on the granite between the two cables has been worn so smooth that now it's slippery even when dry.

Unless I totally misunderstood your point, even if horses were allowed on the trails in the area (other than stock animals), I can't see that the new permit situation would have any effect on them at all, since horses won't be doing Half Dome, since the permits are only for the sub-dome and the cables, which horses clearly are incapable of doing. (Can you just picture a horse trying to do the cables??? That would be just about like a salmon trying to swim up Yosemite Falls...!). shocked

The Half Dome round trip from Happy Isles is approximately 16+ miles. The elevation gain from Happy Isles to the summit is between 4,800-4,900 feet -- a mile is 5,280 feet.

CaT

If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracle of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it.
- Lyndon Johnson, on signing the Wilderness Act into law (1964)