Well Jared there are at least 9 routes that are Class 1 or Class 2 which take you up Elbert. It has been reported that someone on a bicycle even biked to the top to deliver a copy of the Denver Post Newspaper to a friend of his that spent the night on top. The best guide book is Gerry Roach's "Colorado's Fourteeners" 2nd edition which is fairly cheap vs the new 3rd edition since the info has not changed. I've climbed Elbert 4 times going up 3 different routes. When more of you Californians(I'm a native Californian) get tired of the Sierras & alot of the hassle, think of coming to Colorado where we have no permits or WAG Bags to deal with. Just don't try to climb Longs Peak on a weekend when over 500 others would be joining you. Now for the best route.

Between Leadville and the Twin Lakes there is a forest service road that will take you West to Halfmoon Creek road. The Mt Elbert trailhead is almost the same place as the Mt Massive trailhead, just southeast across the road a tenth or two further East. The NorthEast Ridge trail starts at just over 10,000' and the roundtrip mileage is about 9.0 miles.

There is a shorter East Ridge route but requires a 4 wheel drive or Richard P's motorcycle and starts at 10,200' and cuts the round trip mileage to just over 7 1/2 miles. It joins the NE Ridge trail up near the top. Rather than bore everyone else, if you have any questions please e mail me at ernie_cunliffe@hotmail.com

JUST ADDED: Found the best resource other than a book. Go to www.summitpost.org Once there go far right and put in Mt Elbert and then you search. There are 21 TRs about climbing Elbert with 3 alone on the NE Ridge Route.