What Dale says is true. However there are jeep roads to the top of Bross and side roads that come within a few feet of the summit elevation (14,172') so many climbers will hike along the highest road up to where there is a private property sign posted before heading down to Kite Lake. They probably reach an altitude of 14,165' + or-. Since 1980 I have climbed Bross 12 times and never knowingly seen the owners, a security officer, or a sheriff vehicle. There used to be a summit register at the high point. I have never signed in on the register as that is not my style anyway & I don't know if it is still there. I have seen alot of private 4 wheel vehicles enroute to the summit and many on the summit itself. Hopefully the issue will be resolved soon as they did resolve the problems with climbing Democrat and Lincoln and also Mt Wilson way down southwest near Telluride.

Forgot to mention the main Private Property 14er in Colorado. Culebra Peak is 9 miles from the New Mexico border, in the SE part of Colorado. Originally a land grant from the Spanish King the ranch owning the Peak has transferred in recent years from the Taylor Ranch to now the Culebra Ranch. A hostile environment at times as once the ranch foreman shot and killed a trespasser as many of the nearby locals consider the ranch a public area to cut firewood, hunt, and fish. I first climbed Culebra in 1979 and they charged you $10. Gradually the price went up to $15. $25. and now it is $100. all CASH. The climbing is by arrangement and you phone the ranch headquarters with climbing only allowed in the June, July and August time periods. AND yes, the ranch foreman was packing heat when I last climbed Culebra for $25. The state of Colorado tried to purchase the ranch to tone down the hostility there but the deal fell through. A state park entry fee to climb the Peak would have been alot cheaper than the $100. they currently charge to access the private ranch. And I always wonder how much of the cash fee stays in the foreman's pocket and how much gets to the owners.