Originally Posted By: Steve C
This thread is pretty good reading, and quite informative. I just don't understand the reasons for argumentative tone. confused

Steve

When someone on the opposite side of an issue from me persists in behaving like a stereo-type politician or used car salesman, the behavior is obvious and harms the effectiveness of the presentation of that side of the issue. When someone on my side of an issue persists in behaving like a stereo-type politician or used car salesman, the behavior is obvious and harms the effectiveness of the presentation of my side of the issue. Inconsistent presentations are just as harmful.

The obvious extension of that is that I consider calls to the wrong action from someone who is seen as on my side of an issue as far more harmful than the wrong calls from those recognized as disagreeing with me.

Even if the only goal is to give people enough information to know what to realistically expect, the issue is the same.

I'd like to see people presented with information accurate enough to allow them to take effective action. (Of course, this works best if you only advocate issues so just that you have the confidence to believe that the truth will help you. smile ) I think that the truth is the best way to achieve that and that complicated situations can not be honestly presented by persisting with simple substitutions.

Burchey

If you can reach your bliss without the facts, it is nice and green of you to not waste energy by reading.

Dale B. Dalrymple