Originally Posted By: quillansculpture
Hmmmm, not sure what you're reading. I never have said you should get between a mom and her cubs. In fact, that would be plain stupid. Probably not good advice to buy, wherever you read it. I just thought those cute little cubs were adorable :-)

I guess you missed the post that triggered the discussion over the Momma bear - cub issue. It all started with a quote by an expert that portrays the Momma bear - cub threat as a hoax or myth. The Momma bear situation is a lot less common statistically than human-bear encounters over food, but it still can be dangerous and should not be downplayed because bear cubs are so cute.

And you are absolutely right about the relative risk of driving, its orders of magnitude larger than all other risks combined, except smoking. The annualized loss of life from traffic accidents is about 1/1000, which is used in risk management as a baseline for "acceptable" risk because people are willing to keep driving. Odds of dying in the wilderness from any cause is much much much lower, but things do happen and people need to be prepared.