Originally Posted By: Chicagocwright
Several of you have referenced side effects that severely impact the hike but the only ones I have seen explicitly are tingling in extremities and bad tasting beer, which don't seem all that serious or bad. What else should I be looking for; especially as I do a test within the next week or so? What side effects during the hike should I watch out for?

As we put together our plan it seems as though we are leaning toward spending the entire day at Horseshoe Meadow, a little bit of hiking and then reading in the car, but then come down and sleep in Lone Pine. This seems like an acceptable variation for acclimizing "Climb high, sleep low." Does this plan negate the positive effects of spending the day up high?

I concur with spending as much daytime as you can hiking and hanging at HM, and then sleeping lower. Cottonwood Pass is about 11,000 ft and an easy day hike and its pretty level for a long ways going further. I recommend the hiker's camp at Whitney Portal (8,000') to keep the acclimation going rather than sleeping way down at Lone Pine. Should be plenty of walk-in spots in late September.

Regarding Diamox side effects, the minor ones described on this forum are common and increase with dosage, but everyone should also be aware of the rare but serious ones. This is why it's a good idea to try it out before going to elevation - a lot of these side effects mimic AMS. Note the recommendation to seek immediate attention for tingling of extremities - most people consider that a minor side effect. Here's the whole range FYI:

Dizziness, lightheadedness, and an increased amount of urine may occur, especially during the first few days as your body adjusts to the medication. Blurred vision, dry mouth, drowsiness, loss of appetite, stomach upset, headache and tiredness may also occur. If any of these symptoms persist or worsen, notify your doctor or pharmacist.

Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects. Many people using this medication do not have serious side effects.

Tell your doctor immediately if any of these very unlikely but serious side effects occur: increased body hair, hearing loss, ringing in the ears, unusual tiredness, persistent nausea/vomiting, severe stomach/abdominal pain.

Seek immediate medical attention if any of these unlikely but very serious side effects occur: easy bleeding/bruising, fast/irregular heartbeat, signs of infection (e.g., fever, persistent sore throat), mental/mood changes (e.g., confusion, difficulty concentrating), severe muscle cramps/pain, tingling of the hands/feet, blood in the urine, dark urine, painful urination, yellowing of the eyes/skin.

A very serious allergic reaction to this drug is unlikely, but seek immediate medical attention if it occurs. Symptoms of a serious allergic reaction may include: blisters/sores in the mouth, rash, itching/swelling (especially of the face/tongue/throat), severe dizziness, trouble breathing.

This is not a complete list of possible side effects. If you notice other effects not listed above, contact your doctor or pharmacist.

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-6753-Diamox+Oral.aspx?drugid=6753&drugname=Diamox+Oral

Edited to add source link from webmd.com