Originally Posted By: Harvey Lankford
better leave some of those real breadcrumbs behind !

I cannot imagine 12 lbs of food for only 5 nights. What are you Steve, still growing?

I bet he brings food back.

Harvey, it was 5 nights, but 6 full hiking days.

I didn't bring much back. Ate all my granola / pwd milk / tang breakfasts. Ate all the 3.5 oz tuna sandwich mix in foil pouches and sardines in oil. By the way, sardines in oil, about the third day, really got the taste buds excited. half a bagel was barely enough to sop up all that oil. Out like that, I was after ALL the calories I could get. This trip, I learned that bagels go well on the trail!

Dinners: Mountain House meals, repackaged to 4 oz units, were just a bit much. 3 to 3.5 would have been better.

Snacks: 2 granola bars (Fibre One is my favorite) a day, 2 Mounds single (small) bars a day, and a large handful of trail mix: almonds, pecans, TJ's fancy raisins. (I actually threw out 2 protein bars I thought might be ok for variety. Ugh! They're disgusting!)

Less than a pound came back. And I was still ravenous for a few days afterwards. Had a steak dinner in Lone Pine, followed by a pint of ice cream that night.