Originally Posted By: Steve C
Originally Posted By: John Sims
Not sure what flexibility you have on your schedule, but I am planning a one day hike up/down Langley. I am planning on "old" Army Pass. As I understand it, a bit shorter - more direct, and from other posts I guess that you avoid a sandy climb back up to NAP.

I will be doing this hike on June 28th. I picked this date since Miles and Amy (Whitney Portal Store) are doing their dog and pony show on their trip to Patagonia on the 29th.

John, I see your plans to do "old" AP. I keep thinking about what Richard P wrote about what he called "Thompson Pass" as an approach up Langley. He posted a few pictures, but didn't describe the route. I am not sure, but it sounded like it might be a better alternative to OAP.

Now looking at his pictures (25 - 34 in this set: Mt. Langley - May 24, 2013 it looks like it is a tough climb, and he used ice axe etc.

I believe from his SPOT track I saw that the pass is the last one north of the Cottonwood Lake #5. (map) You might email RP, or talk to Doug when you are at the Portal to get more info.

Anyway, if you feel bold and adventurous, you might think about trying it out.

Steve,
I just noticed your post. Not sure how I missed it. confused As luck would have it I did talk to Doug about Langley, and he showed me on a topo the route in question. Really, I think it would be a much better alternative to either New, or Old Army Pass. You simply head up to lake 6, go around the west side of Lake 6 to the North side, turn left and climb out. I did not try it because it seemed to have a similar orientation to Old Army Pass, which would have meant that there might still be a good bit of snow. I did not want to go to Lake 6 only to have to turn around, so I went with OlD ARMY PASS. At this point in time, however, I would "guess" that the snow would be melted out, and if I were going this week it is definitely the route I would attempt.