Yes; and I wasn't smoking dope or imagining things. I didn't say they were Green Berets. I was on Inyo SAR at the time (1980's), and the special ops troops used our headquarters building at Bishop airport as living quarters while they were here, so that curious locals in town would not be asking unwelcome questions of them. It appeared to be a clandestine operation.

They used an unmarked, black helicopter, with special sensor equipment, and wore unmarked uniforms. We were asked not to speak with them or spread the word around town. Local law enforcement informed us they were military troops engaged in special training, assisting law enforcement (INET - Inyo Narcotics Enforcement Taskforce) in searches for dope plantations. We assumed they were army (short haircuts...), but they could have been from another branch of the military. Some of their ops resulted in arrests.

If you are really concerned about the military assisting law enforcement, you may be on the other side of the political fence from me. (LOL) The DEA, ATF or military are all federal agencies. Is it just military to which you object?

Last edited by Bob West; 07/24/13 03:30 PM.