This country is slowing becoming American the Stoned. Would legal cultivation and sale of marijuana reduce the consumption? Probably not; not any more than with alcohol. But it could give the Mexican cartels a more open field of operation - and wouldn't that paint an ugly picture in North America?

Are there any countries where commercial, non-medical cultivation of weed is legal? If so, I wonder what the results have been in those societies.

I think I understand the reasons a lot of people are so eager to want to see cannabis use legalized across the board: folks just want to get wasted and have fun. Which leads one to a question that has not been adequately addressed outside of AA, psychology or religion.

Why to people want to get stoned on drugs (legal or otherwise) and/or alcohol? What could be the underlying psycho/spiritual reasons? Perhaps AA or organized religion can answer those questions. I can come up with answers, but probably not answers that would be taken seriously by a lot of folks, including, apparently, some contributors to this web forum.