Originally Posted By: saltydog
SN: Your initial observation is correct, but it contradicts your conclusion about SONGS:

Originally Posted By: SierraNevada

So Cal Edison generates as much hydropower as they can each year from water stored in Edison and Florence, and their entire Northern & Eastern Hydro Systems, so these lakes get pretty darn low every fall anyway. The drastic drawdown shown in the photos of this thread might be associated more with San Onofre nuclear plant being decommissioned than the drought.

[Emphasis added] Since they generate as much as they can every year, they can't can't generate any more, whether SONGS is down or not. So the drastic drawdown can't be due to the SONGS outage, it can only be due to the normal production and the abnormal lack of replenishment.

Hey, I'm only speculating here, Dog. But I'm thinking they used the water to generate hydropower earlier than usual during peak demand in summer to make up for lost power at San Onofre. But maybe they just needed the water for Huntington and Shaver Lakes, I really don't know. Meeting with them soon, I'll ask.