Originally Posted By: jc9922
I plan to hike Mt Whitney by June 13. I was told that at that time of the year there might be some snow up there. I never hike with snow clamps. Which one should I buy? I see on ebay some choices...which one should I buy...does it matter ?

I never hike with snow clamps either, and I like to hike in June, so I hear you. Last time I did Whitney from the Portal was on June 19, in a pretty heavy snow year, and the only route was straight up what is known as the Chute (but really isn't one). Definitely conditions for crampons and ice axe.

This year, I would bet, the switchers will be pretty open by Mid June, but you never know, so you should definitely be studying up on "microspikes", "crampons" and ice axes, and more importantly, learn about how they are used and in what conditions.

Short answer is you should probably not have to buy anything, but plan on renting what is appropriate when you arrive in Lone Pine. This year it may be ice axe and crampons, or tennis shoes and Dirty Girls, but snow clamps will definitely be unnecessary.

Wherever you go, there you are.
SPOTMe!