"I have climbed Mt Jacinto, San Gorgonio, Mt Baldy and others ....but none of them had snow. ... All I want is to be able to walk over icy trails if I found them up Mt Whitney in June....I don't want to climb a wall of ice....I just want to be able to walk safely over a trail that is covered with icy snow."

jc9922:
The danger is in what you don't know- and that ignorance can definitely 'ruin your day' in one misstep. There is no such thing as "walking safely over a trail with icy snow" on this mountain- just reduced risk; especially if you're not comfortable with the equipment and the environment. A misstep on a "small section of ice/snow"; can result in a very painful result if one falls/slips more than several feet.

I would suggest gaining an appreciation for the environment by looking at You Tube Videos= Mt Whitney maion trail in June; and look at the cables and windows/back side trail sections.
Do a Google search for "DayHike Mt.Whitney info". Under Trail Description; item 4. Cables: look at the link for 'holding snow into the summer'. Note the cables, snow/ice,width of foot path,the slope of the mtn; and ask if I slip, what could happen here....? These sections are not the place to learn foot placement/technique to maintain the appropriate purchase for the conditions; as you're crossing them.

Then go talk to the climbing store and talk to someone who has been on this trail in early summer with these conditions. You'll at least have an appreciation for what they are discussing.

An ice axe, crampons, and even microspikes can do more harm to someone who doesn't know how to use them- false confidence. Its better to wait or turn around; than take the axe's pick or adze to the chest; or start tumbling because you didn't plant your foot traction correctly- slipped- and then caught the spikes.....