Originally Posted By: JasonJM
i am confused?

doesnt GPS come from satellites ? so why would my phone not find GPS on whitney? it doesn't make sense?

also i have the note 3 which is a monster phone, can run for 36 hrs with moderate screen use if wifi and bluetooth and data/phone functions are off

me and paper are just eternally cursed. I hate paper.

Hi Jason,

I can only speak for the iPhone, but with the iPhone the situation is as follows:
-For GPS to work the iPhone requires that the cellular function be active. When out of reach of a tower, the phone constantly searches for a tower, thus draining the battery faster than normal. I use a "mophie" case that includes an additional battery, so I actually have no problem lasting multiple days, even with the condition of no cell service. Alternatively, you could switch the phone to "airplane mode" when not in use, then turn back to normal to look at your map and position. So, there are easy ways to deal with the shortened battery life.
- You should verify what needs to be turned on and what can be turned off for YOUR Note 3 phone GPS to function. You may have less battery than you think.
-The iPhone does get more accurate positioning when cell towers are available, but the I have not found this to be significant.
-I do not really use the GPS function of my iPhone for navigation, but I might refer to it to verify position, and check my progress. On the Mt. Whitney Main Trail, navigation is not so much an issue. As others have pointed out you will not be alone, and the trail is well worn (for the most part). Nonetheless, a few folks have become lost while hiking. Most often on the return leg, at night, when they are tired, and possibly suffering the effects of altitude sickness.
- I also have an app on my phone that creates a gpx file that I can sync with my photographs, encoding the lat/lon info into the exif data (my camera does not have a gps chip).
- For hikes that are "off the beaten track", involving some risk I also carry an "InReach" satellite communication device. With my iPhone I can send and receive text messages to "whoever" I like. Without the iPhone I can still send text messages (as well as "SOS"), but I am limited to three pre-programmed messages, so having the iPhone has clear advantages for providing more concise information.
- One other caution, in deep canyons all GPS receivers can have difficulty, so they are not 100% reliable. Hence the importance of some basic map/compass skills.

Four days and nights at Mammoth is a good plan. I often spend three nights there prior to hiking above 13,000'. My easiest hike up the main trail was after spending one week at Lake Tahoe, riding my mountain bike. Of course I was riding up to baker pass nearly everyday. Not taking the lift up, and coasting down smile You can hike to the top of Mammoth Mountain. It is a good "warm up" hike for Whitney.

Enjoy!

John