I have an Android (Galaxy S4) and when I put it in Airplane Mode to conserve battery life, the GPS function remains active. The trick is finding an app which will allow you to download the maps for the area in question while you have a data connection, either via WIFI or cell. I bought AlpineQuest (I think it was $10) a few years ago, but haven't used it much recently so I can't vouch they've kept it up to date. When I want a solid GPS I use a Garmin 60CSx (and just bought a 62s).

As others have said - when out of cell range, which is most of the Whitney area - put your 'droid in Airplane Mode to conserve battery life, even if you're only using the phone to listen to tunes. I also bought a spare battery for about $8 on Amazon which is as good as the original. (This is yet another reason to have a good 'droid phone.)

Edit - At the risk of getting too far on a tangent - downloading maps while in cell tower range is important for even "routine" use such as Google Maps. Mostly I use a Garmin Nuvi series as a vehicle GPS, but sometimes will use my 'droid and Google Maps apps in tandem with it as the satellite view option in Google Maps is very useful while driving. So ... start Google Maps while in cell tower range so that it will download a map of the area. If you wait until you're in a remote area without cell service and then activate Google Maps you'll see the pointer on the screen - but no maps. Not terribly useful.

Last edited by KevinR; 05/06/14 04:25 PM.