Thanks for the detailed trip post. I got a lottery permit for June 1-2 and will plan on overnighting right off the trail (where allowed, of course), then pushing towards the summit early on. I'm new to WhitneyZone, so pardon my ignorance if I'm missing any other reports that shed light into my questions.

However, I'm not sure--and I truly don't want to offend!!!--how to 'read' the snow reports.

I've seen the snow in some April/early May images and know that the upcoming week is to see more snow. I live in northern Utah and climb/back-country ski in significant amounts of snow. http://www.mountain-forecast.com/peaks/Mount-Whitney/forecasts/4418 is only really forecasting <6 inches of fresh snow at the upper altitudes. I'm not sure how much of the concern is due to ice as the freeze-thaw cycle wanes at higher altitudes, leaving just more ice.

Thus, I am not sure what to do re: crampons and axe. I am experienced with them, but my climbing/hiking partner isn't--and that can be treacherous...

Any wisdom you could share re: snow/ice, as well as the route up if the switchbacks are tricky?