Mineral King to Whitney Portal, July 2014
Day 1 - 2

I've always liked trans-Sierra crossings. I also wanted to see Kern Hot Springs for the first time, and ending at Mt Whitney is always fun. Since I took a High Sierra Trail shortcut (Pants Pass) and skipped the hot springs two years ago, this was a good time to cover that section. More pictures from this trip are included in this album:   Mineral King to Whitney Portal, July 2014

Additional info:  Here's the pre-trip thread, including commentary from those watching my progress via the SPOT signals.

This trip started in Mineral King (south part of Sequoia N.P. on the west side), and ended at Whitney Portal on the east side. Friends Larry and Travis drove me from Fresno to MK, and they hiked most of the way to Sawtooth pass, before returning to drive back to Fresno. They even carried part of my load, making my first day easier. The marmots at Mineral King are notorious for chewing on cars, and a few cars had chicken wire encircling them, and others were wrapped in plastic. Larry opened his hood so the critters wouldn't have a hiding place to hang out. I am wondering if a salt lick would solve the problem.

Here's the parking lot:

Sawtooth Peak from the pass. I took a side trip and climbed the peak. It took 2.5 hours to the peak and back, even though it is only half a mile and 500' of climbing. There are a lot of big boulders to climb over or around. Another hiker, Stephen from Bakersfield, was at the pass, so we climbed it together. He told me at the summit he had thought he would leave me behind. ;-)

My first view of Mt Whitney from Sawtooth Pass -- zoomed in.

I planned on camping somewhere by Columbine Lake, and met these guys right by the trail, a little above the lake. I was planning on moving on, but we enjoyed talking, and they encouraged me to just stay. So I did. Mike is from So Cal and Ed is from the Carmel area. They were doing the opposite of me -- carrying big packs (even fresh eggs!). They started with 65-70 lb packs. Ugh! But then they had folding chairs.

Their third friend, Oscar, caught these fish. They shared, and I had three for dinner. Nice!

On day 2, I hiked down Lost Canyon to Big Arroyo (creek). It is a peaceful and pretty walk.

In Lost Creek canyon, looking back toward Sawtooth Peak

I really enjoy the flowers on hikes. This was the best patch of Monkey Flowers, on a little island in the middle of the stream.

I think Tiger Lilies are my favorite Sierra flower.

I followed the Big Arroyo creek trail to the point where it exited the canyon and headed up and over a ridge to the next creek (Rattlesnake creek) to the south. I passed these peculiarly broken granite blocks along the way.

The trail was easy to follow, even though the Tom Harrison map identified it as "primitive". From the looks of pine needles and pine cones all over the trail, I might have been the first hiker this year to use it. I kicked lots of pine cones off the trail.

I soon came to this point where the trail crosses back to the south side of Big Arroyo.

Following Big Arroyo to the Kern River

Ed from the night before said he'd been down Big Arroyo all the way to the Kern river cross-country several times, and was sure I could do it. He urged me to do it, so I decided I would go for it. I left the trail at the above sign, and continued down the north side of Big Arroyo. About a mile down, just as the slope steepened, I came upon these falls. They are huge -- maybe 40 feet high and 20 feet across. I could have camped on that slab at the bottom.

The route became really steep, and I was not sure it would "go" through. I had to cross the stream four or five times where the canyon sides are near-vertical granite slabs. Fortunately the water level was low enough that I could cross. For reference the Upper Kern at Kernville that day (7-14-14) was running 120 cfs. link. It would be foolish to try this route in a wet year in July.

Unfortunately, I slipped into the water once. Two steps later, my wet boot slipped on a surface that normally would have held, and my shin crashed into a sharp rock. I got a bloody sock and pant leg out of that. I could have used stitches. After going through the canyon, it wasn't particularly bad. Certainly less technical than descending the Whitney Mountaineers Route "Final 400" chute. But the uncertainty and length of time it took (2 miles in 3 hours) made it a big ordeal.

I met a bear in the canyon, near the end. It was as surprised as I and took off like he'd seen the devil!
Here is looking back up the canyon, after clearing the worst parts.

I was relieved to reach the Kern. I camped near the bridge crossing Big Arroyo.
At 6600 elevation, it was warm and dry.

Days 3-7 coming later....