Originally Posted By: John Sims
Originally Posted By: Fishmonger

And that is why he is Director of National Geographic Travel and not National Geographic Magazine grin

I think the Director of National Geographic Magazine uses an iPhone smile

Yes, yes, yes, I concede your point.

Just for grins I looked at an alternative configuration (only camera and lenses), and making the following substitutions will save you 1131.1 g, or 2.5 pounds.

Sona a6000 with battery and memory stick 344
Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS Lens 308
E 20mm F2.8 E-mount Prime Lens 69
E 16mm F2.8 E-mount Prime Lens 67

note that these lenses actually will be longer than my full frame glass by a factor of 1.5x due to the Nex-6 crop sensor. The zoom is similar to my 24-85mm, but also weighs almost the same as well, while the 20mm becomes a 30mm, which is a focal length I rarely use. The 16mm becomes a pretty decent 24mm but still isn't as wide as the 20mm and definitely won't do what my 16mm does - the Nikon 16mm f/3.5 is a full frame 180 degree fisheye. There is a crop sensor specific 8mm from Rokinon that could fill in for that role, but it's almost the same weight as my fisheye, and nowhere near as sharp (no star shots wide open...). I do not own any of the lenses you list either, so there's a significant cost issue, especially given I have no use for these dedicated crop lenses outside of hiking.

I bought the Nex-6 for its ability to utilize glass I already own, using the Lensturbo/Speedbooster adapters that also retain the original focal lengths. I bought it mostly for its better video recording (1080p60). Serving as a lightweight alternative was only a marginal reason should I ever not want leave behind the full DSLR, but I would also need to buy one of the lenses you list to get the real benefit of the smaller setup. Maybe the next winter trip, when the pack is already pushing 50 pounds without camera gear.

With a budget big enough, all the things my camera can do should be possible with a lighter setup, but I don't think I want to spend much on such savings. I don't care too much about pack weight. Maybe a few years from now I'll be able to drop 50% of the camera gear weight without any loss in capabilities I care about and for a price that's right.