SN,

You can never say never but I do not believe a national park designation would happen here. Even if it did, the world would not end. We would all pony up a yearly fee, like the Adventure Pass, to continue to use these mountains...or we would head out to the San Bernardinos, which butt right up to the new NM. Personally, I like the San Bernardinos more.

Actually, there is a big difference between the Angeles front country and AC Highwayland. Although I live in the shadow of Cucamonga Peak and am 30 minute ride from Ski Hut Trail, I hike a lot between Vincent Gulch and Islip Saddle. There is not near as much graffiti as the front country, the trails are in much better shape and I do not remember seeing auto glass on the ground the last few weekends. The reason for all this is the lack of a glamour peak in the area...you can get to Baldy but it hard to get to and an extremely hard hike. What is different is the Korean Ex-Pat community has found it, so it is more crowded than it has been in the past.

The Adventure Pass was a great way to fund these area, users paying to use, but it is effectively no more. No one is issuing tickets for violations because how do you fine someone for not having a pass when the standard is what the violator says it is...damn, I did not use the bathroom or the picnic tablet, how come you ticketed me in the Ice House Canyon Parking Lot?